interchanging mouthpieces during a comeback

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Mar 27, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I am going with that plan Will .. and welcome to the site... thx for posting

2. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    If you have friends who play and have a different set up to you, ask if you could have a go on their mouthpiece. I don't know of many that would have a problem with that. Always try before you buy, thats the best way to go about things. good luck!
    Harvey

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dave, when I was at my most "pro" working full time as an Army Bandsman at my first assignment where I played everything from concert band, to marches, to big band, to brass quintet, I did it all on a single mouthpiece - a Marcinkiewicz #2. A lot of guys do switch up mouthpieces, seemingly with the wind, but I've always believed it best to find that one mouthpiece that feels good and works, and to just stick with it. Even now, I mostly play on just one mouthpiece and the only time I make any changes to that is when I'm doing a kind of music that requires a fuller, rounder sound - otherwise I play and practice on my Schilke 14A4, which is the same basic cup and rim I've been using since 1997.

If you are going to switch, do it now, and then leave it alone for as long as you can.

4. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Umm.... I had thought that most of the people on TM were not pros actually, and that most of the mouthpiece switching is done by the non-pros. Perhaps especially so by us comeback players - with more disposable income than when we were young.

Follow trickg's advice. Play one mouthpiece and stick with it. Play whatever you used to play on years ago. If it did the job then, it would be a good place to start over with now.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I find that switching mouthpieces only increases the amount of practice time required. If you can get an hour each per day, probably everything will be OK. 15 minutes each per day would be a recipe for underwelmingness.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Then I would have to incoorporate your 8 foot hose and funnel commuting program.
    Robin ... you play a Monette, right?... does Bach have an equalivilant? ... in terms of physical characteristics

7. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    I am constantly interchanging between 7c and 3c
    7c is much easier, but 3c is moe of a challenge, and when I play high D on 3c I just feel like I have accomplished something extraordinary, while high D is much much easier on 7c

But I get bigger sound from 3C

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    ut oh Chet Fan ... you have no idea what you just started

9. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Switching around when you first start off, isn't a good idea probably, find one and stick to it, it probably doesn't matter what kind it is too much because your embouchure is going to be so wrong it doesn't matter. I have two different horns and two different mouthpieces(cornet+deep V, trumpet+shallow comfort rim), and coaching a different sound out of each is enjoyable to me, and I find the different mouthpiece/instrument doesn't seem to matter very much in terms of technique or range, but tone MG yes.

10. Flugel52

Flugel52 Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2011
    Central Florida
    Dave,
    Are you playing the same horn as well as your old mpc? Just as another data point, I am also coming back after a 5-year layoff. I had used a Callet Varicup 630 for years prior to shutting down, so when I came back I used it with my King Silver Flair, and everthing was fine....until I bought an Olds Super. I had constant intonation problems with the Olds and recently went back to my King. After a lot of experimentation, I think the problems were due to the Olds blowing so much easier than my rather "stuffy" King. The intonation on the Olds seems to be better with a more shallow mpc. I'm going over to the Warburton plant in the next few days to try to find something that works better with the Olds. I'm sure the problem is 99% me and not the Olds (which is great fun to play), but playing out of tune isn't too cool, either! Just another obstacle on the comeback trail. My recommendation - if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Good luck!