interchanging mouthpieces during a comeback

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Mar 27, 2011.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dave, just an observation, but you seem to come on here and start a lot of threads, and much of the time you'll ask a question, but rather than listen to advice from guys who would know, Rowuk and Solar Bell as two examples, it's almost like you want affirmation that the path you have chosen to take is the right one.

At your stage of development as a comeback player, right now you need to eliminate variables so that you can figure out what's going on with your chops and technique. Find a middle of the road mouthpiece like a 3C, 5C or 7C, and STICK WITH IT. Otherwise you'll throw everything out of balance and progress will be hampered because you won't know if the issue is a chops issue, or an equipment issue. If you let yourself get used to a certain setup for an extended period of time, you won't be off balance due to jacking your equipment around - whatever issues need to be addressed will be you and your chops, assuming that you have a horn and mouthpiece of decent quality.

2. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    I messed around with swapping mouthpieces a little bit early on in my comeback. Actually, mouthpieces and horns. I had to learn the hard way.

If you want steady progress, pick one and stick with it.

The majority seem to think there's no real way you can know what you "need" in a mouthpiece until your chops have developed enough to worry about building range. To worry about it anytime sooner is farting into the wind, I think.

Mark

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    @trickg ... not exactly ... I will ask a question and explain my thinking yes .... and hoping I will get some sort of affirmation ... well we all would like to think we are right .. but it is more for who ever is reading it knows where I am coming from and what my thought process is ..a lot of misconceptions can be figured out if their is a flaw in a fundamental premise.
    rowuk, Solar, yourself and a few others are definitely knowledgable and carry alot of weight.
    Now I am hijacking my thread... but in the few weeks I have gotten active again here I have learned tons and changing things in my routine
    (ie)
    not yet but 3c soon .. leaving the 2 3/4 behind
    buzzed on the way in to work tonight... in regards to limited practice time
    picked up the Clark Caracteristic Studies Book .. because it is very musical in nature
    picked up a music minus one (style) so I can work on music again .. my MO is to do scales and exercise..just me... my thinking had been if I practice hard I can play anything I need to.
    playing softly
    things I have asked and learn...
    mb2 .. Bob Malone lead Pipe
    horn openess has nothing to do with the size of the leadipe... rowak owns that topic
    by listening to the audio clips I am amazed on how good so many player on this site are.
    you get the jist ... but I do get yours ...
    probably my ADHD in starting treads.. but the group seems to enjoy them ... if I am over doing it shoot me a message and I'll back off ... it's just a great site and I enjoy reading and interacting with fellow trumpet players...like yourself
    :)

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Maybe I came off a bit harshly - keep asking the questions. The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask - if you need clarity, ask away. But, do keep in mind the guys who have been playing a while. Take anything I say with a grain of salt. I've been playing for a long time, and have done my fair share of gigging, but I have very little in the way of formal training or lessons - I've learned much of it the hard way through trial and error, and finding what works by doing a lot of what didn't work. For me. However, with the guys like Rowuk, Solar Bell, Wilmer Wise, or Ed Carroll, GZent, etc - those guys have been there, done that, got the T-Shirt, both with gigging, with the training they've had, and in many cases the teaching they have done. Anything I tell you will only be based out of my own personal experience and what worked or didn't work for me.

I think you are doing a lot of things correctly in terms of your approach to your comeback, but in regard to the mouthpiece, I think that 3C should be the one for a while until your chops get to a point where the equipment might be hindering you, but even so, that's a determination that should be made by a qualified teacher rather than through your own personal trial and error. I've kind of stumbled into my mouthpiece choices and that worked for me, but I think I may have been one of the lucky ones.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I only post what I have personally experienced.

Basically, most of us do best when we just stick a mouthpiece in the horn and start practicing without too much focus on hardware.

I personally believe that hardware choices are not food for daily thought. If reasons come up, we deal with them and then rejoice in the next couple of years of hardware vacuum.

There seems to be a real strong tendency to believe that there is an optimal interface for each face. Ain't true. The interface changes with breathing, muscle tone, what the ears/brain expect. With this knowledge, it becomes apparent that it is easier to adapt the face to the mouthpiece instead of the other way around because the human state is not consistent from minute to minute.

We should rejoice in the adaptivity that mother nature has given us. Those in the know can get the job done with a wide range of choices and the audience really only cares about how musical the whole thing is.

Be careful and don't get stuck in the belief that the mouthpiece speeds up anything. You are only burdoning yourself down with conditions.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    @ Robin ... I think that is what i was trying to do ....find out what my mental take should be on mouthpieces ... i.e. no big deal or something not to mess with... but perhaps it's both ... something not to mess with at this stage in the comeback but no big deal, no silver bullet down the road.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    CD,
    if you can get an hour each on whatever mouthpieces that you fancy, you will advance as quickly as with only one. The trick is giving your body enough time to develop a habit. It is possible to get hooked on cigarettes ad alcohol at the same time. That is the mechanism for getting hooked on a 1C and 14A4A - been there, done that.

Yes I play Monette, several different sizes too: B2D, B2M, B2, B2FL, B4L, C2D, AP5, B6. I normally only have 2 in the practice room at any one time. Currently I am spending a lot of time with a cornetto and a mouthpiece of my own design. That gets an hour a day too!

8. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Thanks for saying that. I have never understood that common analogy that a mouthpiece is like shoes. (You have a shoe size that fits your feet best, there is a mouthpiece that fits your lips best.) That always made me wonder if other people are wearing a mouthpiece as they do shoes (with the lips encased inside).

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    @Robin ... I am not familiar with the mouthpiece model numbers of the Monettes or the trumpet model nominclature. I remember in another post you mentioned about your Monette being a tension optimised instrument .. somewhere I thought you were saying you had 8 Monette TRUMPETS but only kept two in the practice room ...lolol that's like saying which Porsche am I going to take to work today.

10. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Listen to the advice.

I have been where you are at and made a mouthpiece switch before my embrochure stabilized during my comback. Even my coordination and how I focus and use my air has changed within the first 18 months. As I switched back and forth to find a comfortable rim I lost certain things and had to relearn them. It has been a giant waste of time and money. So, just pick just one that is perhaps comfortable, one that you can play longer than the others for more practice time. Stick with it. In time you will be able to do everything you need to do.

BrotherBACH