Interesting Experience with Assymetric...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldlips48, Mar 20, 2009.

1. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    So, I'm sitting here waiting on my wife to get home and I'm experimenting with my mpc collection (DISCLAIMER: I typically stick to my Jet-tone MF, but after one scotch I get "radical"). I have some of the more common ones (7C, 3C, 5C), as well as the more exotic (Jet-tone Bill Chase, 18C, Bach 5MV).

I typically play a 2/3 top, 1/3 bottom, "downstream" position, right? So I'm running through my jazz and dixieland pieces, swapping out mpcs as I go (Here's is where I see Robin shaking his head). I put my Assymetric mpc in per directions and, as has been my experience, I sound like crap. I remember I read somewhere (probably on Trumpetmaster) that someone had tried their Assymetric upside-down. So I flip it so the "thick" area of the cup is on top and I proceed to try a couple of tunes.

OH MY GOD! I am freaking screamin'!!! Whereas I have been able to play a "musical" D above the high C, I go past that into the F and even G range with a tone that (at least I think) would be acceptable. I am flabbergasted. High C feels more like E above C on the staff. I can't believe the range and (more importantly) the quality of the tone.

So, feedback please, guys. Anyone else had this kind of experiene? I'm interested in all opinions (particularly Robin's and Chuck's). I'm a comeback player in it for the enjoyment, I've got nothing to prove, bu I admit it's fun to have "useable" higher notes. Temporary phenomena? Magic spell?

All opinions welcome,
    Steve

2. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    What about lower range?

And you never know what'll happen when you keep with it for a while.

3. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    No, I don't drink Scotch and never tried assymetric mouthpiece.

4. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    My lower range (lets say G on the staff down to C below) seemed to have the same quality, though I needed to adjust a bit more (as in more lip into the mpc to get rid of the "airy" tone). I admit Willbarber this could just be a freaky thing. I'll see how it goes long term.

No scotch, Wlfgng? You don't know what you're missing.....

5. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    You could record yourself on it and compare the recording to the sound on your normal pieces, or get someone to listen to you. If the sound is acceptable for the music you usually play in my opinion you have nothing to lose by testing the upside down asymmetric out over a few days or weeks to see if would work for you. Either that or keep it in reserve for when you really want to scream.....what a useful discovery! Could be worth finding out who uses the asymmetric upside down, get in touch with them for their thoughts.

6. NickD

NickD Forte User

I believe Maurice Andre had a mouthpiece that was asymmetric, though it was not John Lynch's. He played his with teh fat rim on top. A few people do find the like them upside down. Hey, if ti works for you that way,the, by all means do it! I can't play mine that way, but that simply means that my chops are different!

Cool!

Nick

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I saw a Selmer paris Maurice Andre mouthpiece at the Melbourne Aust agent about 25 years ago, it had a small spherical cup ofset in the rim, about 1/8" on the thin side, 3/8" on the thick. I would have bought it except I did not have A$ 70 at the time.

8. sinofian

sinofian Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2008
    Central Florida
    interesting news there, oldlips48. I've actually got an asymmetric 342 mp on its way to my house... should be here tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to comparing it to my trusty 'lead' mpc, a Schilke 14A4A. After your report, now I'll have to try it 'normal' and 'reversed' to see if it makes a difference for me. :play:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  9. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    An update:

I emailed John Lynch and told him the story, he said he would give me a call to talk about it. I'll let you know what I find out.

I continued working with it over the weekend and I'm still getting improved range with a nice tone throughout. If I turn it rightside-up it still doesn't work for me.

I'm wondering if it's a matter of slotting? I mean, I could produce a sound in the range of an F or G, but it was squeaky, rough, sliding all over the place. With the Asymmetric I can lock in on a nice sounding G, and can feel the potential for above that.

Go figure.

10. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Well, it's been three weeks I've been playing the Asymmetric "upside-down" and I'm still pleased with the overall results. The sound generally is brighter, perhaps a little more "brittle", but I'm not having issues in the lower registers that some folks have.

One thing I have noticed: If I'm fresh, I have a nice useable range up to G above high C. But once I get a little fatigued, anything above high D gets pretty raspy sounding and slotting gets difficult. But I know that's an endurance issue and a matter of me getting more "face time" with the horn.

It certainly helped that folks pointed out that Maurice Andre plays an asymmetric mouthpiece. If I'm going to be odd, at least I can be odd like a great player!!