Interesting intonation problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Terrizzi, May 17, 2011.

1. Terrizzi

Terrizzi New Friend

Oct 18, 2010
    Jacksonville FL
    Please help. When playing a Getzen Severisen with a 1.5 c bach mouthpiece the tone is beautiful, however when I get into middle of the staff G through about E (in the staff) I have this strange sound. I would describe it as static (you primarily hear the note, but there is a subtle static sound. I can almost feel the static sound buzzing in my lips. It does the same thing with a 14a4a mouthpiece. I have three other olds and conn cornets that the strange background buzzing do not occur when I play.

I had a repair done to the leadpipe and only noticed it after the repair, but I wonder if it was there before (can't quite recall now). It is only easily discernible when I play slow long tones. When playing fast, it is hardly noticable to me.

When I played my friends Conn trumpet three weeks ago, I do not remember noticing the sound. It is defiinitely there. Any suggestions?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You may have a slide that has become loose and it will buzz on certain frequencies. I have a Severinsen that did they same thing. Hetmans #9 slide grease fixed the problem (when the tech could not). Since it doesn't happen on your other horns, this is what I would look at first.

3. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    What happens if you press your lips a bit tighter to the mouthpiece? If you can feel it in your lips is it not possible it is your lips? Just a thought. :dontknow:

Other than that, the slide grease thing or what about an imperfect seal on a water key?

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Look for an air leak - possibly at the tuning slide water key.