Interesting issue, needs to stop.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kayin, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Kayin

Kayin Pianissimo User

May 30, 2010
    I get a sore, swollen throat when I play these days. I've noticed I breathe through or around the mouthpiece a lot, which was never a problem for me on F horn, but I played a solid sterling MP then. I can't tell if it's my nickel allergy or it's an allergy to my valve oil, any way to find out?

BTW, if it goes away with Benadryl I would consider it safe to assume it's allergy related, no?

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Around this time of year (in America) allergies are abundant. I get a little sore throat around this time every year.

3. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    it might just be that you are breathing an increased amount and taking in pollen. or you might be allergic to the mouthpiece, try the horn again, and see if it still happens (if you can).

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Find/go to a doctor that plays brass. He might have more insight than a non-playing doc. Hope you feel better!

5. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    My throat sometimes feels a bit dry or like I'm "catching a little bug" after playing a bit, I think just because it's air moving through, maybe air moving through + throat not open enough? A more closed throat will mean, air moves through it faster and dries it out more. Works just like a carburetor.

I'm allergic to nickel too, but I'd expect a rash on my lips before on my throat.

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Gee, for health problems its ok to ask on line but if it worries you see a doctor. Preferably one who can do what I think is called an alergy scratch test. You will find out if it is your oil or the metal. I think it not to be the mouthpiece though because of the location of the reaction. If you are sensitive to pollen then playing should be ok as long as you can control the discomfort with benedryl. If you havent changed oil brands then you could rule that out but formula changes could happen without your knowledge. Good luck and best wishes.