Interesting Lip Exercises

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Nov 1, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    These are interesting to me does anyone else have an opinion about these specific exercises? Please ignore the pencil one, I don't think we need yet another thread about that. Thanks. The MMM one and hugging the lip, seems to be the direction I was going with my embochure anyway, so it seems pretty good to me.

http://www.bbtrumpet.com/51-100/dfh83.html

2. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Doesn't seem like these would bring anything special to the table that you wouldn't get during the course of normal practicing.

One exercise he didn't mention that I do sometimes, mostly at parties, is this: I lay face down on the floor like when you do pushups. But I put my arms behind my back. I then "kiss" the floor thereby lifting my entire body up just like a pushup with my toes as the lever point. Sometimes I'll ask someone to sit on my back for extra weight. I do about 20 of these, rest for 10 minutes, then somebody will hand me my trumpet...I can usually blast out 5 or 6 good triple C's in a row, D's if I'm lucky!

3. wezley

wezley Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2011
    Or you can just do some good old fashioned lip slurs for a good while on your horn or just buzzing XD

4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I don't know I am a pretty big guy, I think if I was on my horn it might be damaged.

5. wezley

wezley Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2011
    Lol, ok Some exercises work better for different people. :p