interesting Martin Committee Listing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by paulchops, Feb 5, 2012.

1. paulchops

paulchops New Friend

Nov 12, 2007
    I dont use the forums very much and dont know traffic patterns, so this same post is on the trumpet herald. I apologize if this is perhaps considered "double posting"

I own a couple Martin Committees, including the illusive Large Bore.

I happened to see this Ebay listing and am puzzled why such a beat up horn is bidding rather high? Yes, I know the general value, etc. etc. and know that any horn can be brought back, but this horn seems much higher than it should...

1950's Martin Committee Model Trumpet | eBay

It does not have a # 3 large bore marking (has no marking at all, usually meaning the "standard" # 2).

Is there some some other secret tell tale sign that this horn is somewhat special?

Paul

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Is the phrase... there is a sucker born every minute... a worthy answer to your question?

I agree that this would be a risky purchase, especially with just posting the limited pic of the horn. Makes you kinda wonder what the rest of the horn looks like.

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Yeah, ummm Gary? There are 14 pictures of the horn. Scroll down.

I bet this horn goes for under 1K.

4. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Oh man!!! I'm rolling in the floor laughing!! Literally!! "Looks like a gorilla tried to remove the mouthpiece...."

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    It is a Commitee, I cried....

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ouch! The lower pics were not in my original window, and I have been use seeing pics just below the sentinel picture used for the horn post on Ebay. Wow, the seller should be arrested. Isn't it a felony to do this to a Committee? Maybe the seller is planning on using what he gets from the horn to post bail.

At least the case looks pretty good.

7. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I'm estimating $300 to have the Committee in good straight condition with lacquer stripped and polished real pretty. The sticky part would be brazing the cracked leadpipe. I would have it repaired by Larry Mizzel in MD. $700 is way too high a price to pay. I bet the buyer is going to part it out. He can keep that case too. Good deal for $300 to $400 for me.

8. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    It is definitely a parts horn only. Although the great restorationist could repair it. I wouldn't be interested.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Already at $800+ :shock::shock: and 5hrs to go!!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Just to show you the saying, "There's a [mouthpiece] sucker born every minute" is true.