Interesting Practice yeaterday

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cornyandy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Okay so, well, the observant amongst you will have noticed the addition of a Yamaha 4335 GS II to my signature. This horn found me and, its so far away from what I would normally go for, for a start it say Yamaha on it and I have a deep seated prejudice agianst them having had poor beat up models thrust at me in my teens when I was playing a pristine Besson cornet. It's laquered I prefer silver plate.

First the Back story. Out of curiosity I went to a local stack em high sell em cheap with its own brand musical instrumnet warehouse. To have a look at thier "pro model" I've got to be honest about this instrument it wasn't horrible by any stretch and perhaps would step a player up from grade 4/5 to 7 and perhaps 8 and for under £400 its not a bad bet. I would insist on testing the one I got first because there are reported inconsistacies in the range. So this wasn't bad but a little tight to blow and felt at once a little flimsy and heavy at the same time. They also had a silver plated 4335 ... which I liked very much better for me than any of the Xeno's and the couple of Strad I have tried although still a long way behind the Shilke. I left it concerned about cash and went back ten days later and tried out the laquered version and was blown away. Let's just say I have got over my Yammie prejudice. I'll post a full review later.

However on to yesterdays practice.

I'd been doing a bit of reading and cruising some of the advice from big names etc without taking too much in when I came across this

HÃ¥kan Hardenberger and his Warm Up Routine.

I enjoyed the read and for no real reason I decided to start practice with a series of bends. Starting on G and down to roughly F# then extended the long bent tones each way. In every case I found as I "came back up" the horn was resonating better and more easily at a point just under where I had started the initial note. So I just took the tuning slide in slightly and played what I felt was a fraction lower. (I know this all sounds a bit Monettey playing low on pitch) But I had one of the best practice sessions I have had for months (since a chest infection) the horn sang effortlessly in all ranges that I use. I'm not too worried about the whys and wherefores of this although any thoughts might be interesting. But as I am incapaciteted in playing terms this morning by the dregs of an overnight migraine I thought I would share my experience.

For info the set up was Yamaha 4335 GSII in laquered finish and a DW 3C Heavytop mouthpiece.

2. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'm sorry I don't know why this has posted twice, I went back to edit something and ended up with two slightly different posts. It's the other one that is the edited version. Sorry for the confusion If one of the mods wants to delete or lock or do something with this one it's fine by me Sorry again

Andy

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    You're not bi-polar are you Andy? That might explain it :) ............... just kidding mate.

4. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Funny you should say that, no its not yes it is.

5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Bi-polar? Nah, I bet he hasn't been to either of the poles.

6. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    let me czech on that