Interesting subject?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NYCO10, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    A method that works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Incorporate it into your practice routine and see if it works for you is all you can do. In trumpet playing as with life, there isn't any shortcuts most of the time.

Last year at this time I was having problems reaching the 2nd octive f (sorry don't know the proper terminology) and today due to just playing and practicing I play it without a problem. There are enough good songs to play that don't need you to play high.

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Wow it looks like stuff like long tones, pedal tones, exercises and MUSIC matter more than lip buzzing. Out of the case & on the face?

3. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    IMHO, it really depends on what you mean by "lip buzzing". If you mean understanding the science/mechanics/physics behind it, I would agree. If you mean doing buzzing exercises, I would say it depends. A lot of people I admire swear by buzzing exercises, some use them routinely, some use them remedially or as a sanity check.

I do get what the OP was asking, and it sounded like simple curiosity, something I personally don't believe should ever be discouraged. However, that curiosity should not be confined to the realm of range.

Given the choice, I would I would rather be able to play like Wilmer than own a double C.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    While its true that buzzing helps for a variety of reasons, I don't quite know the "why" for pursuing high buzzing and correlating it to playing in the stratosphere. If Pops from State College sez so, then I guess its true.
    I just don't know how this technique fits into the scheme of things when it comes to high note playing. I earned my stratosphere by dilegently working on it over a long time.
    I'm not saying it don't work, I'm just saying I don't know.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    wiseone2 sez:
    I am amazed at players that pride themselves on having a double C that have rotten sounds and lack the basic trumpet skills.
    ----------
    boy O boy! ain't that the truth. While its true I can play in the stratosphere and I'm often called on to do so, I have heard soooooo many trumpet players that either "squeek" high notes and try to pass it off as music or they wield the stratosphere like a musical weapon. While one usually gets giggled at, the other makes people go "WOW! and then after 10 minutes they are covering their ears.
    Both are often at the sacrifice of sounding musical.
    Generally my "meat and potatoes" are in the normal register and to sound musical in the stratosphere is a gift many will never have.
    Opinions are like hind ends, everybody has one and it usually stinks. My twist on this is to always sound beautiful and if you wish to conquer the stratosphere, don't forget to sound musical along the way.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Nyco10 sez:
    I dont see double C as playing the trumpet, it is just another cool thing that you can do on the instrument (like half-valve, growling etc).
    ------------
    WHAT!!?!
    OK, I'm cool, I'm not even gonna go there. Where's my happy place, where's my happy place!

7. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005

I remember when I was at Berklee in 91. I used to go see Herb Pomeroy rehearse his big band. I was always amazed at the young trumpet players (I was 33 when I went) who had chops out the wazoo, but couldn't read, play in time, or play in tune. I saw Mr. Pomeroy chastise them on more than one occasion about this...

bigtiny