Interesting "tweak" I'd like to try

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Par-None, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Par-None

Par-None New Friend

Oct 23, 2004
    Hey people,

This is my first post here, obviously.

Anyway, anyone ever tweaked their horn in such a way as to put a Bach bell on a Yamaha trumpet? I'd be interested to try that to see if I could attain the "Bach sound" on my Yamaha.

I suppose all I need now is to find a Bach bell. I'm thinking about a 43 bell. Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I know someone on the classified section was offering a raw brass 43 bell for $200. I dunno if its still around (It's a month old post), but I would still check. Seems to me like a good deal.

Is the horn you are considering tweaking a Xeno? I really liked the body of the Xeno (That big, thick 3rd valve slide ring, especially), but never really liked the sound it produced (Seemed kind of bland). I really, REALLY liked the Bach 43 bell, and how it completely outshines the 37. A 43 bell will combine the best of both worlds, and make for a completely different, very unique sounding trumpet!

Almost forgot to answer that! No, I can't really say I've ever heard of anyone doing it, but I don't think its all that bad of an idea! I say go ahead and do it! I don't believe you'll be disappointed, but be sure you get a real reputable brass tech to do the work. Some of the local fellows just aren't up to snuff to do such precise work..

Van

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    BTW, welcome to Trumpet Master! :D

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Par-none. As I am sure you can imagine... If you go through with this you will not be the first one to try this "tweak". I have heard of people doing this with some mixed results. You might want to get a few more opinions and I would post your question in the Repair forum because Leigh McKinney knows what he is talking about and I'm sure has tried this.

If you do decide to try this buy the bell from Dylan. He has more trumpets and equipment than he knows what to do with :)

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    which yamaha horn are you thinking about putting it on?

6. Par-None

Par-None New Friend

Oct 23, 2004
    I've got a 6335HGSII (not my main horn which is a 6345HG) that was a drum corps horn. Whomever was using it had pure acid for a left index finger because that area under the bell is almost completely worn through. I showed it to Rich Ita in Atlanta awhile back to ask if he could fix it but he said there's not much can be done with it, except a patch that would really alter the sound.

So I figures what the heck, lemme put a Bach bell on there and I'll finally have a free blowing, Bach sounding horn! (hopefully)

7. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    if you are putting it on that yamaha wouldnt a 37 or 72 bell be a better choice?

8. Par-None

Par-None New Friend

Oct 23, 2004
    I have no idea which would be the best bell for it. I just mentioned the 43 since it's got a larger flare. I wanted a "middle of the road" bell, not a standard 37 but not the big 72 either.

Now that I'm thinking of it, which bell do you all think would be best? What does the standard Yamaha flare compare to (I would imagine a 37)?

9. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Here is where I am going with all of my comments/questions so far:

I don’t know exactly which bell would be best, I am more or less thinking out loud here on a few issues that you will have to deal with.

Since a good bit of Yamaha’s line are copies (sometimes with the help of the original company) of other trumpet designs I would think you would need to stay within the original “idea†of what the horn was made for. I am betting (though not sure) that a Bach 37 bell is what was copied to make that horn, though I may be WAYYYY off. Also I personal hate the sound of a Bach 43, but that is just me, I think any 43 bell on any horn isn’t going to be pretty. SO i think you should try to find out which bach bell closes matches your current bell then go with that one, it might be a 43 bell, but i bet it would be a differnt bell.

Another option is to have a tunable bell conversion done, then you can mix and match bells how ever you like.

Again just thinking ‘out loud’ here ….

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I say go for it. Something that you might want to consider is going ahead with having a path put on it. I know a guy out here in the Baltimore area name Gil Rathel (great lead player) who plays on an old New York Bach that has patches all over it, and he sounds dandy on it.

It could be that by putting a patch on the bell, yeah, it might alter the sound, but it might also improve the way that it sounds as well as improve the way that it blows.

I have also heard a story about someone putting an old French Besson bell on a Bach Strad and winding up with a killer sounding and playing horn.

I say go for it. You might wind up with something pretty special.