Interesting..!?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Heavens2kadonka, Sep 5, 2004.

1. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I have had that horn on my "watch" list. Take a well built beginner's horn and add a professional leadpipe, what do you get? I'm not sure you would know until you played it. Sometimes the difference between a top of the line beginner's (intermediate) horn and a professional horn are some small details.

At the BIN price, it would be a risk. Less than that ... hmmm ... maybe. If nothing else it would make a good SKA horn or a good beginner's horn.

Jim

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I dunno...Colored horns are hit and miss. I had a friend in high school who played a white LA Horn trumpet. Our band director hated it, said it would sound like crap. And when I tried it, I didn't sound to great. But man, Fred would make that horn absolutely sing and scream! I guess it has more to do with how the horn fits you than anything else as to whether or not it's going to work (FYI, Fred is now playing a Zeno).

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I think if you start with a decent student horn you have a fair chance of ending up with something special by changing the leadpipe. Certainly Yamaha's old rep for red rot makes them a candidate for a leadpipe transplant.

I've heard that the Olds Ambassadors can become really special when you add a certain model of Stradivarius leadpipe (43?) Not sure but I've read that it is one of the Alaska Pro Horn mods and I know that a guy who now plays Monette (Al Lilly of ITG) says it's one of his favorites for recommending to his students.

As far as LA horns is concerned... don't they use Weril horns? (which weren't particularly known for their high quality in the first place).

4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    It was my understanding that they had already quit making trumpets, but they may very well do it.

5. mark935

mark935 Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2004
    Riverside,CA
    That's the perfect horn for the guy who was looking for a black beauty about a month ago.

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Weril actually makes a very good horn. I have played and sold several LA Horns. LA Sax has been sold and now they no longer sell brass. But, Weril makes a fine euphonium and is up and coming with trumpets and trombones.

The big knock on Weril was the finish. They were having trouble with the humidity in Brazil. LA Horns imported the raw horns and finished them in Texas. They are very solid horns -- play a lot like the early Yamahas. Solid, defined core sound. Hard to find today, but if you do, they are great beginner, intermediate horns. In fact, with the right person and mouthpiece, they can play.

I would have no problem recommending Weril to anyone (or LA Horns for that matter). People either loved them or hated them, mostly for the finish, not for the sound. Now with all the crappy colored Chinese horns, a colored horn tends to say "cheap." But not always true. They make great SKA horns, and good all around horns if you can get the band director to get over it.

This one would be interesting I think. How much do you pay for "interesting?"