Interlochen Trumpet - not much info out there about them - I'm thinking York Stencil

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Osren, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    I came across an old trumpet engraved with "Interlochen made in the USA" on the bell.

I've searched high and low and have not found all that much about them. I did see a few posts that suggested that they *might* be a Martin stencil.

So the one I've got my hands on has a Montgomery Ward Trumpet/Cornet Care card with it. So I'm thinking this horn MIGHT have been sold by Montgomery Ward as some point.

Looking at horn's characteristics, I quickly noticed that the placement and font of the serial number reminded me of my York Airflow. Many of the other features also seem to scream York on them as well. The valve block is numbered in the same fashion. Bottom caps and Finger buttons do looks similar to other York models of the time.

Pull Knob on the 2nd slide is also very close to York's pull knobs of the late 30s, early 40s.

So I'm going to say... (at least the ONE Interlochen Trumpet I've seen) is most likely a York stencil.

Oh and it happen to come with an old York mouthpiece as well (maybe originally sold with the horn... maybe not...)

[​IMG]

2. Pascalouisiana

Pascalouisiana Mezzo Piano User

Aug 29, 2015
    Abbeville, LA
    Re: Interlochen Trumpet - not much info out there about them - I'm thinking York Ste

I have an Interlochen trumpet too. Mine was clearly made by Wm Frank (it has "WIDE" stamped on the valves). The serial on mine (6627) is far from yours, the Interlochen school might have ordered trumpets from different makers. Last thing, I was told by the school that instruments were not sold/given to students, but some have been stolen along the years. IMG_20160316_175703.jpg IMG_20160316_175719.jpg
    IMG_20160316_175739.jpg IMG_20160316_175804.jpg IMG_20160316_180135.jpg

3. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Re: Interlochen Trumpet - not much info out there about them - I'm thinking York Ste

Interesting that it has the single radius tuning slide. Almost looks like a Holton copy to me.

4. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az

I bet you are correct Pascalouisiana.... I didn't realize they were made specifically for the school (but I guess that totally makes sense).... and I bet they bid out who would make them every so many years to get the best prices. Thanx for sharing pictures of yours!