intermediate etudes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Nov 4, 2011.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I enjoy playing etudes. Can anyone suggest any intermediate to advanced etude books for trumpet? I would also be interested in duet books at the same level. Thank you! By the way, I do have the Vizzuti and Ziemund Herring books.

2. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    How about go into a local music store and just browse. I guarantee there will be etude books entitled literally Beginner..., Intermediate...., Advanced....Etudes. Page through them...is the complexity in your range, a little above? Good. Are there etudes that cover a wide range of keys? Good. Are the etudes more than just scales and arpeggios strung together? Good (IMHO). Etc.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The books of études by the French composers Theo Charlier and Marcel Bitsch are excellent, as is Walter Smith's Top Tones.

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I'd second VB, although I believe that Theo Charlier was Belgian. There is also Vassily Brandt and lots, lots of others.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I stand corrected on Charlier--thanks Philippe! Brandt is awesome as well, and duet books for recorder can be had cheaply--they're challenging and not too "trumpety."

6. Zeé

Zeé Pianissimo User

Aug 22, 2010
    Concone Lyrical Studies is good, so is Phil Snedecor's Lyrical Etudes book.

7. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    I thought the Charlier etudes were more advanced. No?

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Well they are certainly not easy. That's the problem with intermediate, it can mean different things according to who you ask. The Balay method has bunches of scale studies and duets, some quite pleasant. Kopprasch has 2 books, I have worked on some of the 2nd book, which I found quite difficult; I guess that puts me at early intermediate?
    If you have a teacher, that's a really good question for him/her.