Intermediate, or a regular student model?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Stormcat, May 9, 2009.

1. Stormcat

Stormcat New Friend

Feb 20, 2009
    Arizona
    I have been playing trumpet for around 6 years and am currently a freshman in high school (though school ends in about two weeks)
    my dad doesnt know much about musical instruments, so he doesnt really understand the whole quality/price thing
    I have been playing on a student model trumpet from a 3rd-party company (actually a really good horn, I would prefer it over some getzen/yamaha trumpets I have played) though I am one of the better trumpet players at the school (which is one of the best in the state)
    Anyways, a few days ago we went to the music store, and I able to try out a few used intermediate trumpets. And ended up picking out a used Yamaha YTR-232 as my favorite (pretty good condition, had an open feel, but they didnt have a very wide selection)
    my dad was pretty happy about the purchase, as he felt he haggled it to a bargain ($450ish)
    later when i got home, i decided to look up the trumpet via the internet. I found that the horn has been retired for over 20 years and was listed as a student model (basically the new yamaha ytr-2335)
    I'm starting to believe i was ripped off :/ because i honestly dont need two standard models to switch between. Anyways, apparently you can get ytr-232's for around $100 at some places

I love the feel of the yamaha xeno (professional), and would love to play one of those instead. But sadly my parents dont see why they should buy a 2k dollar trumpet while there's cheaper ones :/
    Sorry if this was a little long

Thanks,
    Erica :play:

2. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I'ts mothers day right..... Go to one of those 25 Cent "Jewlery" turn thingies and buy her a peice of jewlery from it. When you give it to her make her put it on and wear it for a while (Weeks) then when she stops wearing it ask why she had stopped. when she tells you that she is afraid it will give her green rings on her fingers, stain her sleeves or collar, then tell her that it is ok because what if the point of buying Great jewlery when this stuff is avail. put it back on her finger/wrist/neck and walk away. (Don't do ANY of this.)
    -- TRUTHFULLY= Has your parents had a talk with your band director or tutor yet? I think that would be the best idea. they can better explain to your parents about how your trumpet playing is superb* and how by getting you a professional horn you can only go up. (Then mention College scholarships, money gigs, and being a highly paid symph. principal chair, you, being able to have your parents retire early!

3. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    BTW!!!!
    -You don't need to go brand new! Bach makes some great horns and you can get it used! Benges are decently priced and are good horns, And i am SURE if you look hard enough you can find a Xeno that is perfect for you!!
    Good luck!
    (And I don't think you should have even looked at the "intermediate" horn. You should have jumped straight into your "I NEED a pro horn!!" argument w/ the parents.)

4. Stormcat

Stormcat New Friend

Feb 20, 2009
    Arizona
    hmm I really dont think they have
    I will have to mention that before my next lesson though, since they will need a better explanation than just what the people at the store had told them

5. Stormcat

Stormcat New Friend

Feb 20, 2009
    Arizona

I wasn't very fond of the idea of a intermediate trumpet either, since I heard it wasnt the best idea
    but i guess the sales-people tried telling my dad i need an "inbetween" horn for a couple of years (when i was trying out different trumpets)
    thank goodness they have a 7 day return policy

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Erica!

I know how you feel. I too come from a family that had the motto "if it is cheap and fits, then you'll like it!" If your Yami 232 was the best of the bunch, however, then play the heck out of it--you've moved forward with your hardware!

Horns, unlike shoes, are something you never grow into--they are something you outgrow, and when you can play the heck out of the 232 someone important will notice, and they might just have the authority to suggest the Xeno or something better.

In the meantime, hang out here at TM, have fun, and maybe learn some stuff.

Welcome!

7. concordtrumpet

concordtrumpet New Friend

Sep 23, 2008
    It's all well and fine to search for better and more expensive trumpets, but keep in mind that a trumpet will not change the abilities of the player who is holding it. Work on your tone, practice smart, never stop listening to and emulating the best players, and in time you'll find you're outplaying everyone around you with your "student" horn.

If it ain't broke, why fix it, right?

Have fun playing!

8. mrbill00

mrbill00 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2009
    Middle of Georgia
    the 232's are selling for more than the 2320(the model that replaced the 232) and the silver ones are going for a little more..they are .459/.460? bore with 5 in bells...they are in reasonable demand because they actually made pretty good stuff 20+ years ago...so the older ones are worth more if kept in good condition..
    like VB said, fill up the 232 and someone will notice, you've got a good horn, liosten to it

9. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Erica, i am also a freshman, playing for six years aswell. My trumpet was my student model aristocrat, it played well, but crashed and burned to a halt one day during band camp when the valve snapped. I talked to my director, he fixed the student trumpet, and then we began searching. He found a 1970s bach strad in excellent condition, only problem it was 1800 dollars, and with tax over 1900 dollars. Well my parents weren't too thrilled. They too didn't get why they should pay that much money for a trumpet. They said it was nice and all, but that it was too much money to be spending on a trumpet. Well i told my mom to give my director a call, ten minutes later, he completely convinced her that it was a good trumpet, and that it was worth the money. So definitely see if your director can discuss with your parents why a professional model, although more expensive, would be the better choice. Let him/her find you a trumpet, they can most likely let you try it, and in my case the price was dropped from 2400 to 1800. Good luck in your quest

btw if you your director can find you a trumpet and you can bring it home to play, play one of your parents favorite tunes on your old trumpet and then a trumpet that makes your playing light up. It made my parents notice the difference between what a student model sounds like and what an excellent, perfectly matched to the player, trumpet sounds like

-Once again, good luck
    Kristina

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Your Yamaha will be fine through high school. When you start college you can get a job and save for a new horn...