Intermediate Trumpet Help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeteer2796, Mar 14, 2016.

1. D Miles

D Miles New Friend

Oct 6, 2015
    Besson International from Ebay. Most of the time they come in under $400. They were marketed as an intermediate but a high quality horn that rivals many professional models. Made by Kanstul.

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Getzen Severinsen--right now on eBay you can get one for less than $700 (buy it now +shipping). Or you can try your luck at bidding on one and see what it eventually goes for. I would consider this a professional quality horn, it was certainly marketed as such, but I think it would probably suit your needs.

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    If you've been playing for four years, and you're dissatisfied with the way your present horn plays, it's time to step up to a professional horn; don't bother with an intermediate.

4. Trumpeteer2796

Trumpeteer2796 New Friend

Feb 28, 2016
    What does everyone else think? Should I just save up a little more cash and go with a pro model, or slowly build up? I have heard that if you buy a pro horn, you can beat it up doing Marching Band (which I play trumpet in) or hurt it some other way and spend even more money to either replace or repair it

5. Lukarino

Lukarino Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Use your beginner horn for marching. I wouldn't dare take my Xeno out to the field, even if some of the kids frown upon me marching with my cruddy old cornet.

In the long run, buying an intermediate and then a pro horn costs you more money.

6. limepickle

limepickle Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I think that the general sentiment in the forum for a long time has been that intermediate models are just dressed up beginner horns. I would recommend using your student horn during the marching season and buying a pro horn for everything else, including practice (just take your mpc home during marching season - no need to drag the student horn back). As you can see from many suggestions, there are a lot of quality pro horns that can be had used for LESS than the price of a new intermediate trumpet that will be play much better, so it's not even an issue of saving up. The premium for buying new is just too high. You can get mint condition pro horns or fully restored used horns for less, so in my opinion, there's no question that you should go pro. Another bonus is that you have many more options to choose from. Just do your research to make sure that you aren't investing in a dud.

7. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Buy pro! Skip the intermediate. March the beater

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    "4 years" at best puts this player at a high school sophomore level. Really, I'd have to see and hear what he/she can do with what he/she has presently before I'd endorse proceeding to spend their money on any advanced quality instrument. A well maintained Blessing instrument shouldn't be that much of a hindrance at any level of proficiency.

There are a few here on TM as have heard me play my Olds Ambassador trumpet and Conn Director cornet on my comeback, the very same as I use for tutoring students from the 6th grade through high school. The Olds cost me only $25.00 plus just over $100.00 for Ivan to work it over. The Conn was a gift that started my comeback. Both now get my TLC.

Coming up on Sunday, March 27, 2016 for the 3rd year my multi-brass rendition of "Christ The Lord is Risen Today" will be broadcast on the PA all over town as a call to worship at the joint Baptist-Methodist sunrise service.

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    To TRumpeteer2796
    we still have not clearly heard the Budget..??

What $$$ are you prepared to spend - that will dictate what to Buy.
    You want to use for Marching as well?

10. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    "4years" didn't have me in HS. And he said the horn was falling apart. Get something nice and have the Blessing put in marching shape by a shop. I started trumpet in 4th grade, by sophomore year I had 6 years under my belt and also needed a new horn. Ended up with an intermediate model that I banged up badly-all of my own fault not just because I was in marching band