Intermediate Trumpet Help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeteer2796, Mar 14, 2016.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I always dislike threads that focus on the intermediate or "step-up" trumpet. So often intermediate horns are student model horns that have some cosmetic niceties, such as fixed 3rd slide finger rings, silver plating, the addition of a thumb saddle, etc - essentially paying a premium that won't play appreciably better than a standard student model horn, depending on the horn of course.

The best bet, IMO, is a used upper level horn - others have said to look for a Getzen Severinsen. That would probably be a good choice, as would an Eterna 700 or 900.

The problem with jumping into a brand new pro horn, as I see it anyway, is whether or not the trumpet will get much use past HS because SO many HS kids stop playing once they graduate. They might do a little college marching or pep band, but Bach/Selmer has made a mint on Strads that wind up sitting in a closet or attic almost immediately after a kid graduates HS. The new horn won't hurt the student - it's just a matter of spending a lot of money on something that may never get used quite for its intended purpose. That's a question only you can answer.

Good luck with it - keep us posted!

2. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Get a professional horn and take care of it.
    Mine went through three years and still looks as good as the day I got it, 18 years ago.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've also marveled at the idea that somehow marching with anything other than a beater is a bad idea, with the idea that by default horns that get used for marching are going to take a beating. I did a lot of marching with pro-level trumpets (high school and Army band stuff) and I never got even a minor ding from marching. The worst thing that happened to my personal Strad during the time I used it as a military bandsman was wear on the silver plating from sweating all over it all the time during the hot summer months, and I'm not sure that part of that wasn't a result of over-polishing the danged thing when I was in HS.

4. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    We wore the white gloves with the little "scrubbing bubbles" on the palmsides. That's the only thing I can think saved the silver from my sweat, a nasty biological concoction that makes even stainless steel guns rust when carried during the summer, or a barbell when errant drops land on it.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I think there is more going on with (American) Marching Band interactions than just what I can control...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWBQnqMPp3k

I would not want a flag, or a suicide trombone whacking into me... the Rehearsals must be like a cruel act of attrition. A plastic horn would be what I would use. But my idea of a marching band is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48m-0sW0260

AND can one of our POM mates tell me why some of the Guards Bandmen do not wear a white webbing belt? Seems not to be a standard dress item. I thought maybe drum straps - but Cymbal player, sax, etc...??

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While I began being privately tutored in the 5th grade by the same man who was the public school instrumental music instructor and high school band director, it wasn't until I was in 6th grade that I was allowed into the public school instrumental music program. By the 8th grade I was in the high school band where I spent 5 years. It is my observation that presently 6th grade is the entry criteria presently in U.S. public schools. IMO the rationale for such is that the criteria of reading level isn't well enough developed in lower grades to follow written instruction.

7. limepickle

limepickle Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Patrick,

I think that in most cases you would be okay. It's just that sometimes you are required to put your horn on concrete or muddy grass, and there is always a chance that somebody else bumps into you and makes a major dent. Most people are not as coordinated in high school bands as they are in military or pro bands. I would not want to take chances with something that could otherwise last you your entire life. I've seen instruments literally crushed in marching band. It is really rare, but you wouldn't want to be that guy.

8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Here in Cincinnati it starts to this day in fourth grade. One school here can have you in regular instrumental courses straight out of the gate.

9. cb5270

cb5270 Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2013
    X

10. cb5270

cb5270 Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2013