Internal metronome

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Feb 8, 2013.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Okay my reading is'nt bad now i know the values of rests and notes however i cannot 'feel' the beat! For example say i play for 10 bars then 3.5 bars rest then come in on the second note of a bar for three notes, no chance the music has gone i'm on catch up now. How do you feel the beat, I know there must be many out there with the same problem, Help! how did others overcome this issue?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Try tapping your feet... These ARE the musician's gift to music... But do get a steady rhythm going with your feet before you start to play.

3. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    The only way I can deal with this timing issue is to always use a metrone when I practice so I learn to count accurately. When I play I start counting from the beginning of the piece. After a while the counting becomes more intuitive. But I always use a metronome when I practice at home.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Subdivide and conquer.

Most beginning methods show us how a four beat note can be divided into halves, quarters, sixteenths, etc. That is theory. In practice, our internal metronome is held together by counting not the one, but rather the halves, quarters, sixteenths, etc. A pendulum clock can only strike the hour accurately if the pendulum is set to an accurate one second interval.

5. Kendall

Kendall Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    UK
    I would advise sub division, as a bass player I was pants at sub division so would employ random body movement to help me (such as foot tapping) with sub division, much to the extreme distress of most people around me - as they would normally believe I was out of time - how very dare they!!! I hate to thin what I looked like jigging along at the back!

6. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    Yes. This is my main issue. It is frustrating for me when I am counting in Band practice, thinking I am counting right, and then coming in early (or late) :dontknow: I find out I was counting right for the 18 or so measures but it was the last few beats I didn't count. The thing is, I don't subdivide (very often). It is hard to subdivide especially while playing. For me, I play best when I am playing something I can "hear" in my head. Is it similar for you, Alant?

7. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    When I come across a difficult phrase in the music I will get my pencil out and draw a light line on each of the beats through the bars needed.
    this way the bars have been divided up into the beats and it seems a little easier to read and follow were you are.

Attached Files:

8. lou gonzalez

lou gonzalez New Friend

Feb 18, 2009
    henderson nv
    set the met. to 2 & 4/play simple tunes with a swing feel, emphasizing 2&4/listen to 40's swing, it's easier to feel than bop or later styles
    play hard, swing has a thrust and drive-it's for dancin/go slow, think it through, visualize the moves, execute, stop, rethink, visualize...
    stop when you feel wrong. it can be tedious, so try a 4 minute session, do somethin else, go back. put the horn down,sit with the met. and sing parts, swing style, making the rhythms part of you by tapping them, clapping and singing-the more physical you get, the deeper the imprint/this also works with reading writin & 'rithmatik/you will learn mo' bettah by using the body to imprint the thing you wanna learn..the rests are easier if you know the tune-so go look at whats happening wheile you are counting-and a great player sat next to me counting silently, forming the words "ONE234TWO234THREE234" as he cointed, and he used his fingers to mark each bar on the short rests, and to mark each phrase on the long rests, one for each 8 bars we were out.he was using his hands to keep his plce while he read ahead-figuring out the next breath cycle, the attacks he would use, the dynamics, the phrasing, the lift and drop he would use/and by the last 3 bars rest, he was breathing deeper, getting his feet planted, his body weight onto his feet, sitting up taller, getting the horn to his face, till the last 3 beats rest he was tanking up with a big breath, relaxed, slow, and BANG!!!! he hit the next FF high note like a grand slam outta yankee stadium. beautiful, relaxed, open, perfectly phrased,he made it sound effortless...later, he said he had already seen and heard himself doing it in his head, just like he did it in the practice room with the exercise books...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  9. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    A very good structured approach, I like it :thumbsup:! I haven't thought of like this in quite a while. Visualizing yourself playing the phrase before you play it. Great! Thanks Lou :D.

10. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Its not normally during playing that i struggle, sure i dont hold some notes long enough. It is more as i come to a rest part (not such a problem on slow music). I will loose where when i stop playing, rest, play a few notes, rest, play a few notes. By the time i get to the next long piece i have to play i am not confident where i am up to. My music teacher says just pick it up at the nex bar... not easy to do if you have lost count and you cant feel it. It is easy when you know a piece, bt sometimes the music is not written as you know it.