internal polish?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sleight, May 15, 2012.

1. sleight

sleight New Friend

May 20, 2010
    Has anyone tried to polish the inside of the lead pipe and tuning slide? Yes I keep mine pretty clean too but I have an older cornet that I have just given a good scrub with the snake to and it seems to play easier, or perhaps my imagination! But it made me wonder what the effect would be of a polish to the inside perhaps with a wad and brasso? Is this done has anyone tried it?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The problem is making sure that you get it all wiped off. If any of the polishing compounds remain in the horn, eventually the valve oila nd moisture will loosen it up and Murphys Law will make sure that it goes immediately to the valves.

If we learn how a trumpet works, we discover how slowly the air is moving and that turbulence is really a non factor. Regular cleaning keeps the internals shiny, removal of oxidation is only cosmetic - even on the outside!

I have had great results when good techs disassemble a horn and rebuild it with perfectionist solder techniques and low tension between the parts. There is a Swiss artisan that specializes in Bachs - René Spada is a magician!

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I polish trumpet lead pipes but not bent cornet lead pipes.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I wouldn't use anything that has any abrasives in it. As Rowuk said, "... straight to the valves". You could make up a cleaning solution and pour it into the leadpipe and hold your finger over the exit. Then run your snake back and forth with the solution in there. This should get anything out that could cause any real problem.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Polish leadpipes? I get mine from Germany..........

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Ha, ha, ha. Just got it! Very good Rowuk!

7. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    Is there a treatise somewhere on the physics of trumpet playing? I'd like to read it...

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  9. 7cjbill2

7cjbill2 Pianissimo User

Mar 18, 2012
    Athens, GA
    Thanks!