internal time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by adohanian, Jan 8, 2006.

1. adohanian

adohanian Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2005
    boston
    Hi Manny,

My question is spurned on by a player I got together with over the holidays. I've known him for a few years. He's a very strong player with command of the horn, a very expressive player, and he has a budding career as a freelancer, but like a lot of us he's shooting for an orchestra job. I believe what's holding him back is his time. It's not bad at all, but little things creep in, like on Ballerina's Dance the 16th note runs run ahead a touch, ditto with Ravel Piano Concerto. These aren't drastic at all, but it's probably enough to cost him an audition. Now, when he plays with a metronome these things correct themselves, and when he plays in an ensemble where there is an external pulse, he's also very good. This is a long-winded way of getting to my question which is this: how does a player like this with real command of the horn and a strong musical sense make a relatively small but very significant step forward in his internal sense of time so that it will stand up in an audition? Thanks very much and sorry for the long question.

adam

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Some people can develop it over time. No one's perfect but you do have to get close and know when you're dragging/rushing enough to change the feel of the music. Some folks just don't have that strong a rhythmic sense also and it really doesn't get much better. It takes a very discriminating ear to know that you're off when there's no accompaniment.

No one can play Petrushka and be perfect with a metronome if they can't hear it but it is important to maintain the character of the music with some kind of inner drummer.

ML

3. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Adam,

I can certainly relate to what your friend is experiencing. Here is an excerpt from a post that I wrote several years ago:

Also check out a post that I wrote called A Rhythmic Epiphany which will give some ideas to consider when using the Starer book (for both Internalizing Pulse and Rhythmic Identification).