International Music Company, Voisin, Early Excerpt Books

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Jimi Michiel, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Hey all,
    Does anyone know what has happened to the International Music Company? They were the company that published what seems like the first trumpet excerpt books, edited by Roger Voisin. I'm looking into this because I'm doing a source study of Debussy manuscripts and have focused on that troublesome excerpt from Fetes with the ambiguous slurring. The slurs in Voisin's book are the most radical of all the sources I've looked at (first editions, piano transcriptions, other excerpt books, orchestra parts...).
    Also, for those of you with orchestra gigs, how does the conductor usually handle this aspect of the piece. Are there different sets of parts when different conductors perform the piece? Thanks in advance,
    -Jimi

PS. If anyone has an email address for Roger Voisin, I would be eternally grateful if you could PM it to me. I have his snail mail address, but email would seem like the way to go. Thanks!

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Try here, all the books seem to be available.
    http://www.internationalmusicco.com/index.htm
    Wilmer

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Thanks Wilmer. I assumed that all ten sets were edited and compiled by Voisin, but it looks like the question I should be asking is, who is Gabriel Bartold? (I'm sorry if this shows my trumpet ignorance).

-Jimi

4. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Derek Reaban's post on the TH about sections in symphony orchestras shows Gabriel Bartold's name on the KC symphony roster in the late '40's and on the San Diego Symphony roster in the early '50's.

5. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Jimi,

In addition to what Robert mentioned, I show Gabriel Bartold in the National Symphony Orchestra and the Houston Symphony Orchestra.

If you haven’t checked out the historical orchestra rosters project, here are the folders that have details on Gabriel Bartold:

Principal Trumpet with the Following Orchestras:
    1942-1943…National Symphony Orchestra
    1943-1948…Kansas City Symphony
    1948-1949…Houston Symphony Orchestra
    1949-1958…San Diego Symphony Orchestra

Hope this helps!

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Thanks so much!

-Jimi

7. mstrpt

mstrpt New Friend

Jan 1, 2006
    Some of these excerpt books had to be taken out of print because of copyright law changes a couple of years back. A few are still available in print. International is still very much in business with most all of Mr. Voisin's projects as well as mine available through many sources....

MS

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Welcome to Trumpet Master, Mike.
    It is an honor to have you here.
    Wilmer

9. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    What he said ^

From talking to a guy from international music up at midwest a few years ago, they are printing them in rotation and eventually all 10 will be avaliable. I have about 4 of the books, but will not be buying anymore because of the number of errors in the parts.

With the new excerpt books out like the ones from hickman, I dont see why I should buy any more of the internationals.

10. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    International Excerpt Books

I have all ten International books plus the Strauss and Wagner books as well. I have had them for over 30 years and got them for about $2.00 to $2.50 each. Bought one each payday during summer jobs. Gave me great pleasure to actually play the notes that the "real players" were playing even if it was only in my own practice room. My teacher helped me with the misprints as they came up.

I also have all the Hickman Editions (so far) and they are very good along with some of the CD-ROM versions of excerpts. My only complaint with the Hickman is the size of the print. The International set are larger and easier to read. The Hickman set have more extensive excerpts but to use with other players, I need to blow them up so both of us can read them off one stand.

The Sachs Mahler set has complete parts in score format but is also small.

It would have been even more expensive but I would have prefered that the Hickman and Sachs sets to be printed on the larger Alphonse-Leduc style books with enlarged pages to accomodate larger print size.

Hurray for photocopy machines where I can enlarge the ones I am currently working on!

P.S. I really love the Hickman and Sachs sets in score format with multiple trumpet parts and the accuracy of parts is much improved over the old International set.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida