International Shipping

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aussie Matt, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    Hi there,
    Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good store that ships to Australia (without shipping costing the same or more than the item!).
    Anyone from Oz please chime in here. I'm looking at mouthpieces, a new case and, hopefully, a new horn in the not too distant future.
    Thanks in advance,
    Matt.

2. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    I live in Japan and have had a lot of things shipped from the states. USPS is the cheapest shipping option. And for me, most of the time is is as fast or almost as fast as any of the courier services. Again, for me, I have found that UPS or FedEx can add on some kinds of "documentation charges" which I have to pay before I can receive the item, which USPS does not. I'd suggest looking at what you want to buy and then seeing if the store offers shipping by USPS. If they don't contact them and ask if they would do that for you. I have done that and had a positive response a few times. I had shipping charges drop from $45 (FedEx priority service) down to $20-something for USPS. I have used mouthpieceexpress.com and wwbw.com among others and they both charge similar (USPS) shipping rates.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Matt,

I have imported a reasonable amount of stuff from the US - trumpets, trombones, mouthpieces, and mutes. I've had good results from the US Postal Service and UPS.

You need to be a little careful because when the item arrives (depending on the price) you may have to pay Freight, Customs Inspection Fees, Import Duty, and then GST on top of everything else (yep, bl**dy government double dipping - tax on a tax).

Some vendors may ship free of charge, but I too think USPS is usually the best rate. I've had to set up an importer's licence for some items - even by USPS, Customs were very helpful and I think it as free of charge.

Purchasing through Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center (Centre) has given me very good value and great service - a quick phone call to them (you'll need to phone early from here) will set the whole process in train and they have a very good reputation, and plenty of stock.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Hi Matt,

small items such as mouthpieces and parts usually about $10 postage from the states, cases $45-$60, Trumpets in cases $60-$90 depending on weight and volume via USPS.

I had my Eclipse sent by air freight through a mates shipping co. all up $1260 to bring in, freight, airport handling charges, customs inspection fees, GST on all those and purchase price as well.

Regards, Stuart.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Matt,

In terms of a trumpet like a new Getzen 700S, or a new King Trombone - the final lying on the loungeroom floor cost from the States will be about 2/3 of the retail purchase price here in Australia. It will be very much better with the dollar exchange rate the way it is today. If you are going to buy - the exchange rate is important.

6. Bagnewauckland

Bagnewauckland Pianissimo User

Dec 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    I got a Protec Triple Gigbag and a Hercules triple stand from Dillon Music shipped to NZ for about NZ$500 including shipping (and they arrived within 4 days). The bag alone here would have cost me about 700.

7. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    Thanks for all your replies. I've had a lot of experience buying from the States and just put a bike together with parts coming from the US and England. A lot of it was shipped for free because the order was over a certain amount. I was looking at some mouthpieces recently and when I dialed in all the info, the shipping was $60. The MP was $40. I cancelled. Kind of hoping there would be a similar deal going with trumpet gear. I did find somewhere that would ship a Getzen Capri for free. If I didn't just spend $3k on a bike, I might have done that...