international trumpet guild?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by straduser21, Jul 3, 2009.

1. straduser21

straduser21 New Friend

Jul 2, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Hey, I'm new to this site, but it seems pretty great :). Anyway, I was curious to get other's opinions on the International Trumpet Guild. Is the fee to be a member worth it? What are the pros and cons, in your opinion? I'm just not sure if the guild provides that much, but I didn't know if you other players had more experience regarding it. Any help would be much appreciated!

2. DanZ_FL

DanZ_FL Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2009
    Clearwater, Florida
    My college teacher, Charlie Gorham, was president for a time. Back before the internet days, it was an invaluable link into the trumpet playing community -- especially legit.

3. straduser21

straduser21 New Friend

Jul 2, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah, I agree. I just wonder about it's importance when we live in times when you can find anything out about trumpet or pieces by searching Google. Has the ITG lost its need, or is it still invaluable?

4. trumpetdad

trumpetdad New Friend

Jan 5, 2008
    In my opinion, the journal alone remains worth the annual membership. And the annual conference this last May was excellent.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I've been a member since the earliest days. The journal alone will provide information you will never find on the web. Check out their web site. Search for ITG. :play:

6. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    ITG is definitely worth the money. The website plus the journal and free music as well as sometimes CD's are all worth the cost of membership. I understand the convention is great, however I have never been able to go either because of work or location.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The ITG is so cool that this Vulgani even wrote an article for the ITG Junior Journal.

8. straduser21

straduser21 New Friend

Jul 2, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    This may be a silly question, but I don't see it fielded on the ITG website. 2010's ITG conference is in Australia, which sounds spectacular. My question is, how much are fees for the conference if you're already a member? Are there many additional fees to take into consideration, or does the annual membership pretty well take care of that?

Thanks,
    Ian

9. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    My impression (and it's only my impression) has always been that ITG is really slanted toward the collegiate/legit/orchestra crowd. As a jazz musician, I've never seen much in perusing their web site that made me interested enough to join. Have I missed something?

bigtiny

10. kanstulpicc

kanstulpicc New Friend

May 29, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    You've missed something.

:)

There is a jazz related article in every issue of the Journal, and there is a
    transcribed solo from each of the Jazz artists interviewed.

There are also lots of articles that are of general trumpet interest -- not
    specifically geared to any one style.

The advertisements alone are sufficient to make the Journal interesting.

The ITG dues are money well spent. Well worth your time to investigate this
    fine organization.