international trumpet guild?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by straduser21, Jul 3, 2009.

1. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
  2. straduser21

straduser21 New Friend

Jul 2, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Very cool, thank you all for the information. This guild seems like it would be beneficial to any player looking to improve, find more information, or just learn more about their instrument. I think this registration will be a good financial investment.

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Unlike the rubbish that will sometimes pass for proper information on the various websites, the information in the ITG Journal is 100% accurate. When you read an article or an interview, you know the truth is right there in front of you.
    Rich Tomasek

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Earlier this year members received a CD, The Roads They've Taken, featuring the winners of the ITG Jazz Improv. Competition since 1979. With 32 tracks in MP3 format, it is a great collection of music, which I have thoroughly enjoyed. Other benefits other than the Journal (I read everything, ads included) are a huge discount on Smart Music, free sheet music, transcribed jazz solos, etc. The organization is making a push to embrace non-pros, too.
    Journal articles cover history, practice methods, reviews of music and recordings, trumpet-related science, focus on performers, schools, groups, pedagogy, interviews, and more. IMO it's a good deal, all around, to join ITG.

veery

5. dizzyizzy

dizzyizzy Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2006
    VA
    Bigtiny,

Interesting. I've attended 3 ITG conferences so far and there has been an INCREASING amount of jazz orientation in its focus as the years have gone by. My "feeling" is that the majority of the performances at the last one (Harrisburg) were jazz-oriented, and there's the late-night improv each night...

The Journal is still a "bit" behind in its jazz vs traditional materials, but that is also increasing.

And...Straduser21...the membership fee covers the Journal and those related "mailings". There is a REDUCED fee for attendance at the various ITG conferences, but it is NOT included in the membership "cost". And...the conferences are worth every penny.

Dizzyizzy

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I was a member a long time ago and didn't see any benefit to it so I dropped it.
    Two years ago I went to the conference in Mass. I didn't go as a member.
    When I got there I was amazed how the pros and armatures interacted.

There was an opportunity to learn a lot and play a little. Jazz and classical. Tons of horns and music to look at or try. Everybody was extremely nice.

After the conference and a fight with Smart Music, I joined. Not for what it does for me personally but what it does for the trumpet in general. To bring us all together to learn and teach. If I do get something for my money, great. If I don't, I make it possible for another trumpet player to get something from my dues. A chance to give back.

We are all better off because of ITG. It promotes communication among trumpet players around the world and improves the artistic level of performance, teaching and literature associated with the trumpet.

The last sentence was taken from the ITG site.

7. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    The ITG is an invaluable link between all members of the trumpet community. The conferences are spectacular, with the best trumpeters from all over the world coming to give performances and clinics. It is a great resource for students and amateurs, because it shows that greatness is attainable. Also, meeting the great trumpet players in this kind of a setting shows that most of them are normal, down-to-earth people who have simply honed their skills to a point. All too often in the trumpet world (music world in general), people's reputations grow to astronomical status. We begin to think in terms of "trumpet gods", rather than musicians who play the trumpet. ITG helps fix this.

Also, the journal is edited and reviewed by the best trumpet players/teachers who give MASSIVE (and I mean this, I personally know the president) amounts of time to make sure it is high quality. You try to find THAT on a website, and then you can give me a call!

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    As someone who has been out of the loop for years, I am newly learning about this organization. One question comes to mind - are trumpeters unique in having something like this or is there a similar organization for other brass or woodwinds, or even strings, percussion, etc.? Also, does ITG journal have info for comeback players or is it generally higher level principles that are covered?

9. trumpetdad

trumpetdad New Friend

Jan 5, 2008
    CBK: I can't answer the first question about the journal -- it's all pretty advanced to me -- but a quick YouTube search of "ITG 2009" shows a few amateur videos, including a "comebacker" concert clip (link below):
    YouTube - Comebackers Trumpet Ensemble at ITG 2009

10. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    The answer is yes to both questions. There is International Trombone Association (ITA). Also, I know there is one for tubas. It used to be named TUBA (go figure), but now it is something else. Also, there is great info for comeback players, as most of the info in the journal is not Ph.D level stuff.