Interval Studies in the Arban Method

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Jul 23, 2015.

1. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    I've recently discovered a section known as "Interval Studies" on the Arban Method, and I have some questions about it.

What are the benefits of these studies? Is there a good way to play these exercises to earn best results from them? Are these good exercises to incorporate into my daily routine, like long tones and lip slurs?

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I think those are some of the best exercises in the book. I play then with a strong attack and usually staccato and try to make each note pop...using a metronome. The way I practice them is to start in the middle of the page.. then go to the one above.. then below .. then above ..then below.. etc. This keeps my chops from getting too tight. If you do them right you should feel a little bit winded ...
    That's how I use them .. and if I am limited in time these are the ones I make sure to play.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The interval studies are designed to perfect your accuracy by teaching you the "sound" of a second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth or 7th. They are simply additional patterns to learn that can be recalled as the music demands it.

In addition, they can help us learn to match our tone quality over these intervals. They also can provide us with important clues about how to stay relaxed when playing higher or faster.

4. joshweckerly

joshweckerly New Friend

Jun 15, 2015
    For me, anyway, these exercises simply help with flexibility. There are plenty of pieces that require a trumpet player to jump a perfect 11th, and you have to be prepared to do that. It might help to focus on making it sound easy, like the notes are very close together.
    Happy practicing,
    Josh Weckerly

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I always felt these worked magic for tone improvement but really never knew why. That helps make some sense to it.

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Who knows what Arban's original intent was for some of the exercises in the book, but one thing is clear, there are many ways to play some and to differing benefits. My main H.S. and college trumpet teacher had studied with either Schilke or Cichowicz and there were several exercises in Arban that he had me play that, I'm sure, were not Arban's original intent. But they had great benefit when I played his (or more likely Schilke's or Cichowicz') variations on them. I think the interval exercises are like that. Choose your poison and go for it.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think Arban was clear about his intentions: bring the cornet as a solo instrument to the level of the flute or violin. To do this, you need spectacular stuff that was common for flutes and violins of the time. Besides that, they are good for standard development. We must not forget: Arbans was written as a "conservatory method" and designed to take the very best to even higher levels in a way monitored by masters. Back then DIY was not really on the map. The benefits that we reap today (because we start at an earlier age with the method, albeit many times without the monitoring) are different than back then.