Intonation, a reality check.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 19, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh no... not me... did you notice.... I am posting AFTER my work day... In perfect tune as to what my boss expects of me (just to stay on track with the thread).

2. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    I would agree.... isn't that the reason that orchestra and band always tune themselves as a group for each performance? Being able to simply hit each not spot on would be great if everyone had that same ability and of course everyone would agree to A=440 or A=415 or whatever the flavor of the day happens to be.

3. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    I see this thread is an oldie, but a goodie ... one comment: When in college, my instructor, Rich Illman (any EKU or MSU trumpeters out there?) once recorded me on a reel-to-reel tape recorder and then played it back at 1/2 speed. Everything sounded 1 octave lower, but the kicker was that at that speed you could really hear which notes were flat or sharp. We didn't worry about passing tones in a phrase, but it did help me to realize which notes I had to 'lip' to correct. It was a helpful tool. As to playing and checking every note against a tuner = that would be nuts.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I used to have fun with one of those recorders by recording playing a valve trombone with my trumpet mouthpiece, taking care to make attacks deliberately sloppy and using a slow vibrato. Sounded like superman when played at double speed!

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Aha!!! now where's my bass trumpet...