Intonation, a reality check.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I have been practicing with the ireal book app with my cornet and a Harmon mute. Playing sustained notes over chord changes makes your ears and face adjust quickly. one can either play the tunes or parts of the chords themselves.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Nice looking instruments those Taylors - what do you reckon Turtle?

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

:lol:

Nordlands, you should have been an art director. Those girls look fab in their designer Taylors. Obviously, beautiful women and trumpets are a match made in heaven ...

Turtle

How come we don't see this more often? What gives? NOTHING looks better on a woman than a shiny trumpet!! Am I wrong?:dontknow:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  4. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    Heres what I have done in the past to improve my tuning and Intonation, it may or may not work for you..........
    I wrote 6 or so Hymns in four part harmony using notation software. On each of the Hymns I left out either the first or second part.
    I would then play the Hymn back, and play the missing part over it. Because the pitch and tuning is so rigid,it forced me to listen carefully in order to be able to play in tune.
    I also changed the key of each Hymn so I could practice in some of the "trickier" keys.
    Of course its not quite the same as having to accomodate the pitch shifts we get with real musicians, but it was good ear training.
    Laurie

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
  6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Sounds like a great relationship. I spent a good deal of research time zeroing in on the 38b Connstellation and it looks as though the one I bought is going to be a nice one. Besides a rich sound, it has a lot of fine playing attributes, from what I've read. Could be a nice companion to the Getzen, which is naturally bright.

Turtle

7. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    i contest that women look better with motorcycles, but this is almost close.

but... beautiful women with trumpets?? heres one
    YouTube - Tine Thing Helseth: Haydn Trumpet Concerto, 3rd mvt

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Another thing that is nice about the Korg TM40 is the detail in the metronome. Many different interesting beats and offbeats can be punched in .... It's not very loud but I just run a line out of the tuner (headphones) and into a Marshall amp. Instant volume.

You can also get drone tones out of it, in any note.:-)

Nice video above. Ahhhhh, if there were only more tine ....

Turtle

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  9. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    how do you pronounce her name anyways? tina thing? sorry, i don't speak norwegian

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Interesting the apparent moisture in the bell, and the apparent length of the valve set?