Intonation, again...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Yamypappy, Jul 30, 2015.

1. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Me too. I was never taught to use my third slide, so I just lipped everything in. One day after hearing that all of these notes on the trumpet were inherently out of tune, I fired up that tuner and played those notes with my eyes closed and then looking at the tuner... and every one of them was right on.

Maybe being able to play in tune is just a talent like any other that can be enhanced by training.

Tom

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I agree that playing a tad sharp in a jazz ensemble isn't the end of the world but it sure can make for a long night if you aren't on the lead book. You mix that sharp with the lead vibrato and it can "bug"
    I was playing around with a Snark tuner because most of my playing is just practicing and I felt like I was losing my center. I found the more I relaxed and trust my Strad the better and more solid the intonation. If I was trying to force each note to be in tune it had the same effect as over steering a car. Sometimes you just have to let go of the wheel... use the third valve slide but let go of the rest. If the horn doesn't naturally want to play mostly in tune wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll you know my answer to that.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    and when you're in ensemble trust your decades of experience that you'll play in tune with everyone else. If you can't, you have larger issues.

Tom

4. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    As Rowuk says...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXBiH5EL8x8

5. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    This! I use iTabla as its easy to open and use for my iPhone.