Intonation Frustration Part II

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sdgtpt, Nov 9, 2005.

1. sdgtpt

sdgtpt New Friend

Dec 3, 2004
    A big glaring weakness of mine is intonation...

I hear it while in the section, I hear it while playing with a drone or another player, I hear it looking at a tuner, I hear it among other instruments...

What I don't hear is... INTERVALS. playing a concerto or an excerpt by myself in a practice room, I don't here the intrinsic pitch problems that are coming out of the bell.

How do i begin to fix something I don't hear yet?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Oh, of course you hear intervals.

My guess is you're trying to do too much too fast. The awareness of what intervals you're playing is important. It's part of theory and ear training but valuable, nonetheless.

"Over the Rainbow" is an octave, right? Now go find studies that work on octaves exclusively. "Libbiamo" from La Traviata is a sixth (trust me, you know this song, it's the one in 3/8 in the Arban book). Find a study or two that features the sixth and learn to hear it. So on and forth with all the other intervals. Learn the intervals through songs that feature these intervals and supplement them with studies.

The key is slow, thoughtful practice. My other guess is nobody ever worked with you quite this way so you have some make-up work to do. It's actually fun if you take the right attitude. You'll get it , don't worry. Just cut yourself a little slack and allow yourself the time it takes to learn.

ML

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Recommended melody

In going carefully through my Arbans I do not find this melody. On what page can it be seen?

OLDLOU>>

4. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
    oldlou,

There are many versions of "Arban" in the world, with different songs.

My version (Cundy Bettone) don't have this song. But I have other songs with the sixth intervals.

Major sixth:
    57. Melodie (Mendelssohn)
    60. Absence (Beethoven)
    96. Le Desir (Beethoven)

Minor sixth:
    86. Ariette (Weber)

When some people give page numbers for some Arbans exercises, it usually is not any help to me (quite often they have the Fischer edition)
    For instance Arban No. 11 (in First Studies) is on page 15 in my book, but I'm sure it is not in the Fischer edition, etc.

Some years ago, I and a guy in France compared our two versions of Arban: Mine, Cundy-Bettoney Co.- Revised by Herbert L. Clarke (only in english) and his, International Music Diffusion (both french and english.)

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/arban/content.html

Ole

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Lou- Mine as at school right now (it's just too dang heavy and in too fragile condition to carry back and forth); I just looked it over this afternoon. Unless someone else posts between now and when I get a chance tomorrow (staff development day...no kids) I'll look.

There are some nice interval studies in Charlier, as well: the sixths study (the one that immitates a clock), in particular.

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Arbans

When I recently came back to the trumpet/cornet I discovered that my Arbans manual had grown legs during my 40+ years away from my horns. I bought a new one from J.W.Peppers and immediately had a stock broker friend who has the equipment for making up booklets to cut back the binding and punch the eliptical holes for a plastic ring binder. My book now lays flat against my music stand and will last a good bit longer before it starts to fall apart. The principal trumpeter of our local symphony, who also teaches a long list of advanced trumpet students, saw it and bought a new manual. He went to Kinko's Copy Center and had them fit his manual with ring binders too. I saw him last week and most of his students have taken their Arbans manual to Kinko's for the same treatment.

OLDLOU>>

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I had mine done three or four years back... when it was brand new. Same deal... Kinkos. Think it cost me about $8.00 Cdn which included laminating front & back covers.

8. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    hmmm... good idea. Thanks, Lou. No Kinko's near me... but there should be one in Syracuse should I make it down there in the not so distant future...

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Re: Recommended melody

Lou- Art of Phrasing section, #135, p.232 in the Carl Fischer edition. It's Titled "La Traviata" in my edition.

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Interval training

I found and marked it with a paper clip. Thanks a bunch.

OLDLOU>>