intonation frustration

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gringoloco, Nov 3, 2005.

1. gringoloco

gringoloco New Friend

Feb 15, 2005
    Merida, Yucatan
    Hello Manny.
    I'm a big fan...have been for a long time. I've just never chimed in. I play principal in a good Mexican Orchestra. I'm having some trouble with intonation and our new co-principal horn. He's a good player and musician, just a little stubborn. How does one breach such a topic while maintaining a high level of prefessionality and respect? Do you ever feel like you are caught between the upper woodwinds and the horns? The orchestra really sounds nice...I just hate it when you go up and down and it's still out of tune. :dontknow: :cry: :dontknow: :cry: :dontknow: :cry:
    Thanks a lot.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    So, let me guess...

In the upper register, the hornist goes flat and the woodwinds are mostly sharp esecially the bassoons and flute. Meanwhile, everytime the clarinets play low or make a crescendo, they go flat.

Am I getting warm?

ML

3. gringoloco

gringoloco New Friend

Feb 15, 2005
    Merida, Yucatan
    You got it.
    I don't mind specific tendancies so much, what gets me is this particular attitude. "I feel I'm playing in tune and will respect the tuning note." :x :x :x
    This is infuriating because it doesn't help anything. I've always thought of tuning as flexible. That it has to be dynamic (no pun intended). Go with the group. I always try to have "I'm right" be the last option.
    How do I get this guy to get on the orquesta wagon?
    Before it comes up...the conductor is no help and will not be of any help.
    It makes Beethoven terrifying. Octaves, unisons, fifths...terrifying.
    Estoy desesperado. Que carajos hago?
    Rob

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Que mierda...

I'm sorry you have to go through the hassle, I really am. Let me ask is your personal relationship with this individual okay? In other words, can you sit with him and say "Let's play some scales." Doug Wright, our principal trombonist, did that a lot when he first got here so that we'd know each other's tendencies and it was great.

Try to make good intonation a mutual quest but without taking on too much guilt in his presence unnecessarily. That can leave you open to bad stuff. It's hard to know what the real dynamic of your situation is but the best can do is suggest that you do some one-on-ones with him in a non- threatening way.

ML

5. gringoloco

gringoloco New Friend

Feb 15, 2005
    Merida, Yucatan
    Thanks for the advice Manny.
    I'll give that a swing tomorrow before the concert. He and I get along fine. We're not drinking buddies or anything but no anomosity either. Last nights concert was better. The whole brass section is unsettled a little bit, but I think it's going in the right direction.
    Last night was a little rough. Beethoven 5, guest conductor, everyone a little nervous...pretty rough. Let's just say it was a very "classical" version of the symphony. We all played safe, but it came off.
    So thanks again Manny.
    Hasta la proxima...

6. gringosano

gringosano New Friend

Sep 30, 2009
    Hey, it only took me almost four years to learn how to play sharper than you! :) :-)

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    and 4 years to find this thread

8. gringosano

gringosano New Friend

Sep 30, 2009
    LOL ROFL Good one Joe

9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    If your concern is that his ego will be wounded if you imply to him that his intonation does not match the orchestra, then turn it around and say something like, "Say, when we play certain passages, it doesn't sound like we're together on the pitch. Let's play a scale together and let me see if I'm off." Unless he is totally tone deaf, he should be able to (a) hear that you are out of tune on certain notes, and (b) that it is him. If he still doesn't get it, say, "I'm not sure how to fix this. Let's use a tuner so I can see where I'm off. The needle should 'needle' him at that point.

10. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    HEY !!!
    I played Principal in Culiacan for some time...
    Second player were not happy with this and his intonation was a bit sharp, so I was very troubbled.
    That could be a real problem when playing Beethoven's 7th or so...

Un abrazo !!!