Intonation out of whack

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazzbebopswing, Jan 12, 2005.

1. jazzbebopswing

jazzbebopswing New Friend

Jan 12, 2005
    When I tune to middle C and move up the scale I notice my intonation going flat. Is this the result of a weak embouchure?, lack of practice?, poor quality instrument or mouthpiece?, or is this normal :cry:

What can be done to create stable intonation throughout the range of the instrument.

Thanks for your input.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    "When I tune to middle C and move up the scale I notice my intonation going flat. Is this the result of a weak embouchure?, lack of practice?, poor quality instrument or mouthpiece?, or is this normal ?

"What can be done to create stable intonation throughout the range of the instrument."

dear Jazz,

I don't know anything about the way you play but I'm going to assume that you play normally, have standard equipment, and posess a normal high register.

If I'm wrong about any of that, get busy and put good time in practicing the basics.

If I'm right, you're going to get the standard lecture about Monette mouthpieces and what they do to correct the usual intonation problems in the high register. On second thought, go to the Monette website and read up on the Consant Pitch Center aspect of his mouthpieces. It's the reason I play those mouthpieces and horns.

So, if it's in your budget reality, grab a Monette mouthpiece that is about the right size for you from a friend and try it. You'll see that it helps very nicely. If you can get a hold of a Prana, all the better. It really raises the high C to a good pitch that makes playing the horn fun.

ML

3. jazzbebopswing

Jan 12, 2005
    Thanks for your input. I'll look into the Monette mpc.

4. jazzbebopswing

Jan 12, 2005
    BTW, I'm playing a Taylor Custom with a customized mpc built by Schilke and based on the mpc provide by Andy Taylor. I also have a GR custom mpc for the horn.

Do you know if the mpc guy at Monette can build a custom piece for me?

Jazz

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Jazz,

If you go to the shop, they'll break their necks trying to make something reasonable for you if that's a possibilty.

ML