Intonation problems on Kanstul- New Leadpipe?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by trumpetpimp, Dec 7, 2004.

1. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I'm having some troubles with intonation on my new(used) Kanstul 1500 in lacquer. My ear and the tuner(for once) agree. Middle G is particularly troublesome(sharp) but there are several notes on the horn that don't sit particularly well. I'm adjusting all the time while playing.

It seem to be in fairly good repair except there is evidence of red rot on the leadpipe and tuning slide. It's not terrible but it's certainly there. Would a new pipe do anything to help? Any recommendations? Blackburn, Pilkzuk, etc.?

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Blackburn. I have also heard good things about the Pilczuk pipe, but some people think that the slots "lock" a little too well, thus decreasing flexibility. However, most will agree that a Pilczuk leadpipe will certainly assist intonation.

Someone that should chime in on this is Tom Turner. As I recall, Tom had a Bach Strad at one time with a Pilckzuk leadpipe, and that the leadpipe took a good Bach and made if VERY good.

But I have yet to hear anyone say that they didn't notice a vast improvement on their horn with the installment of a Blackburn pipe, so that would probably be a great choice too.

3. regularsopguy

regularsopguy New Friend

Feb 16, 2004
    ...I heard that Kanstul makes Blackburn pipes...

Anyone?

Also, a new leadpipe can't cost more than 60-80 dollars from Kanstul, I'm sure.

4. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I have to say I highly doubt that. Kanstul makes great instruments but they cost under $2000. They're more than production(Yamaha, Conn, Bach) but less than custom. Blackburns start at around $4500 and are made to order. Pure custom and handmade, like Eclipse and Monette. I don't think they're making parts for eachother, not that I haven't been surprised about things like this before... :roll:

Yeah, but if I'm going to replace I might as well upgrade too. :lol: [/quote]

5. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    I have a similar problem with my Constellation. The D,E,F and G at the top of the staff are really hard to slot. So, I thought a Pilzchuk leadpipe might solve the problem. I called Rich Ita and talked to him about it and he didn't seem to think that the problem was in the leadpipe. He really didn't encourage me to change out the leadpipe. However, yours needs to be changed out because of red rot so I guess you might as well go for it! It might not help the problem though---call Rich and see what he says!

6. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Try a Martin Committee

Hi

Every horn that I have ever played has had some sort of slotting probs, IE a few notes being a little sharp or flat. I have always just compensated almost subconsiously after 14 + years of plalying. Kanstul makes some nice horns but recently I purchased what I consider to be the best horn in the world. I got myself a Red Laquered Miles Davis Production model Martin Committee T3467RE. The slotting is phenominal to say the least and I never have to waste my time compensating short or flat notes. The tone in INCREDIBLE and is deep dark, and has a beautiful aura that just sings! I saw Miles in 1990 before he died and this is why I started playing then. I always thought that if God played a trumpet, he'd have a tone like Miles :) Stangly enough the old martins from the 1940's/50's are really sought oater DONT slot very well. But the new ones from Leblanc are just great. Just ask Wallace Rooney :)

Sincerely Rick Chartrand

7. regularsopguy

regularsopguy New Friend

Feb 16, 2004
    lol.

yeah, but $4500 is reasonable if you are the only guy making the horn, and you only make a few per month.

I'm sure I read it on here or the other message board that Kanstul makes those...Anyone?

8. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Blackburn uses Kanstul pistons, everything else is handmade.

Blackburn allows a two week trial period of their products. All I paid was shipping to me (I drove back to return it/talk to them), and the cost for one leadpipe (They sent me two, to help me decide). I would suggest looking into it. They're some of the most personable people I've spoken to.

BTW, I didn't get the leadpipe because I ended up selling that particular horn. I'm saving up to fit one on an early Elkhart Strad, whenever I get my hands on one....

Van