intonation???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by robbie, Oct 10, 2005.

1. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I hear you Mike, but like Tootsall I have trouble singing over high-C!

Thanks Buddy, :cool:

Dave

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm reading a lot of advice that talks about singing the pitch, hearing the pitch, practicing to notes on a piano, buzzing melodies, etc. What if the horn simply resonates sharp due to the physics of the equipment? I mean really, the equipment has to be considered, right?

Just a thought.

3. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    trickg - I had a beautiful Mt. Vernon that absolutely played great, tone, ease of playing ,ect. but the intonation when sharing a stand was just enough off that when sharing a stand on the higher parts it was noticable. I would have had it sent off for a new lead pipe but I couldn't bring myself to change a good horn. I don't have intonation issues with my Benges - go figure. old geezer Dave

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Ha! You should hear me sing flute or clarinet one parts! (Or...maybe not...)

5. CGUM

CGUM Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2005
    Not to step on Mike's toes but, I'll try to clarify what he is getting at with the drone and try to answer your questions in this post.

Set the drone. to the tonic pitch. Then play a scale against it as mike reccomends. So you will be encountering intervals and dealing with how to play with/against it. Well, good luck with it.

CG

6. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    The best way to improve your intonation is recording yourself so you can hear what youre doing. Then really listen to yourself and all the subtle nuances of your playing. Ear training is critical!

Equipment
    Martin Committee Trumpet, T3467RE
    Holton Heim # 2 Mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

7. matthoffner

matthoffner Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    minneapolis, mn
    i have found that doing "droning" excersizes has greatly improved my intonation as well as my sound!

There is a great CD called... The Tuning CD - you basically play along with an organ..but I find that playing scales and intervals against a very loud pitch on my metronome/tuner works just as well. This also helps me to get a full, resonant sound during my warm up.

8. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Do you know where we can buy this cd? Or is it a free thing that you could send me mp3s? :D

9. matthoffner

matthoffner Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    minneapolis, mn
    hey,

http://www.thetuningcd.com/

I have only used this a couple times - but I really liked it. What I do right now is plug my blue dr. beat into some speakers and playback a pitch (rather loudly!).

Another great thing is droning with another trumpet player..it helps with blending, just intonation, and playing relaxed.

10. tinnmann

tinnmann New Friend

Mar 10, 2004
    NE Ohio
    I know I'm a little late chimming in but I just got on this thread. One of the others mentioned that a larger backbore helped him(Schike 14a4a vs.14a4). I had the same result as well. A Warburton 4SV with a 5 backbore played sharp above G. By experimenting I found that the 11 backbore was nearly perfect up top and gave me a fatter sound all around.