Intonation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by J. Jericho, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    In respect to Smith Watkins,

Link here

Welcome to the Smith-Watkins website

I've never played a SW instrument but I have played 2 John Packers with SW designed leadpipes and they were fabulously in tune instruments (251 trumpet and 271 cornet) and both were under £500 Sterling.

I like a lot of what Dave Monette talks about but have yet to experience it (and when I do it will probably be the silver 6 mouthpiece due to cost) Then again I wonder if I really need to swap out my Wick 3C heavytop which works very well for me. I have asked a few questions of Monette and always got detailed and unsalesmanish answers.

That said I wonder if they are soooo much better than a Smith Watkins, a Harrelson, etc.

Like Seth I debate the idea of a perfectly in tune trumpet it is perhaps a grail quest I just think that in all the R and D and experimentation Dave Monette has come closer than most.

2. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    No links, you didn't post one one apart from Adam Rapa either. You must have heard of Derek Watkins? Think of EVERY James Bond theme, he collaborated with Richard Smith and they did lots of scientific research about how a trumpet functions. Check them out for yourself.

3. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    (I've heard of a good company begining with K for intonation.....................................):evil:

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Olds Super Recording - It's made by fairys you know.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    AND the Getzen 4-valve Eterna Flugelhorn. I have heard that their 3 valve version does have intonation problems but that 4-valve makes it magical... It must have been added by fairys.

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Not made by fairies, Gary. Made FOR fairies.ROFL

7. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    In my personal experience, whether a trumpet, mouthpiece, or both, Dave Monette's products get the technical crap out of the way so I can express myself infinitelty simpler. I can reprogram all the unecessary muscle memory and get to playin baby! Musicians can play in tune with most if not all makers, the ease of which I've made my choice.

8. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    And you can tell that after 2 days in the factory? Wow, you must be special. Takes me several weeks to get used to an instrument fully.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I'll have to disagree with quite a bit here. I am a Monette player (since 1997) and am convinced of what Dave does, but there is no magic or bending the laws of physics! His horns have problems just like every other trumpet on the planet.

A trumpet is NOT in tune. It technically can't be. The PLAYER needs to be in tune. A trumpet can be built so that the player may not have to work as hard to line up with others but the deviations from "just", "mean" or "well tempered" to what the trumpet wants to do are appreciable!

Adam Rapa has vented his aggravation more than once about those not in the know claiming that the "Monette" is a significant part of his success story. It simply ain't true. He was a brilliant player LONG before and his musicality, intonation and range are not based on the hardware that he uses.

The Monette is an excellent tool to have. There should be no myths spread about what Dave Monette does differently however. There are enough players with other horns and mouthpieces doing just fine. My orchestra work with my P3 is not "better" in tune than with my Bach 229CL or 1938 Heckel rotary trumpet. The series of concerts that I am playing this weekend with the natural trumpet and cornetto are not "worse" in tune. Those last weekend with the G and A piccolo trumpets were also OK.

Even "challenging" instruments simply need the player to be capable.

If you are really a physics fanatic, then I recommend some research to help put your thoughts about intonation and what is possible into perspective:

Intonation - Institute of Music Acoustics (Wiener Klangstil)
    ITG 2002 Dr. Richard Smith "Exciting Your Instrument"
    Systematic approach to the correction of intonation in wind instruments
    Library - Technical Papers - Downloads

There is a ton more, but that should get anyone started that is looking for the truth"

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Why can't Getzen simply have gotten lucky?...........................

Actually, my 4 valve Getzen flugel is pretty angelic. "Fair" in a word or sentence and "trumpet" simply do not belong in the same sentence!