Intonation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by J. Jericho, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    A little nugget of wisdom that rings a small bell for me from the distant past. The ANALyst in me wants to say that a leading note is a leading note, but I have a vague recollection of a tutor telling me I was often a bit flat on them. Something about there being a 'harmonic' leading note and a 'melodic' leading note. Is this what you're getting at?

2. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    The closest I have found is my

Bach Model 31
    New York 67
    Cornet

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The horns I have that are the best match for me to play in tune with the least effort are my '76 Bach ML 43 and my early 60's Conn 5A and 9A. Those particular horns are keepers, for sure. The less you have to worry about intonation, the more you can concentrate on the other facets of making music.

4. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I have owned many horns and the 2 that stand out as bring in tune with their self ( didn't really have to work to lip certain notes in tune) were my Shilke S32 and my Lawler C7. Should have kept both horns.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Absolutely agree. Back in 2005 I switched from a LB Bach Strad/25 Bell to a Schilke B6 with the party band. After a week or so in, I thought I'd made a pretty costly blunder - my intonation was AWFUL. I even posted about it here.

The issue resolved itself in time. My thoughts on the matter is that I was still trying to play the Schilke like the Strad, and the Strad by comparison had a lot more intonation inconsistencies than the Schilke. Once I made the adjustment, (took about 6-8 weeks to fully acclimate) my intonation was considerably better all around - even my bandleader commented on it unsolicited.

This shouldn't be surprising though. I've read that Renold Schilke went through extensive prototyping to get horns that he felt was the best compromise, i.e., best intonation and blow.

6. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I was pleasantly surprised to find that my Yamaha YFH-731 flugelhorn has the least variation in intonation of all the horns I have played so far. I was also surprised at the influence the mouthpiece can have on intonation. I was considering selling my King Opus 7 cornet at one time because of the struggle it took to play it until Mark Curry recommended his 3DC, which transformed it into a manageable instrument to play.

7. eviln3d

eviln3d Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    Okay... what did I miss. I watched the video and I still have no idea why a monette mouthpiece is any different than any other brands. Can someone actually explain what the difference is? Other than they are shorter than standard mouthpieces.

8. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Monette mouthpieces go to 11...

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I heard a solo recently buy a player that owns a fancy, schmancy high end horn already mentioned. It did not benefit him. ROFL As I write/type, I know another player who has an even fancier, schmancier horn. He too benefits little from it's design. :roll:

10. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yeah, you can buy a Porsche, but if you drive like a grandma in a Chevy, you'll drive like a grandma in a Porsche, too.