IRC channel! Anyone interested? (#horns @ Undernet)

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Syntax, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Syntax

Syntax New Friend

Jul 10, 2004
    Hey y'all.

I've decided to start an IRC channel for all those interested in discussing trumpet and getting to know each other better on a live chat basis.

What is IRC? IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat. It's a rather geeky system of chat (similar to AOL's chat room) that works much better, and is accessible by anyone around the world. Unlike AIM, it allows discussion between MANY participants in a large chatroom, not just a one-on-one IM system. The more, the better!

Set up your IRC client (see below if you do not have an IRC client) to join the Undernet IRC network ( www.undernet.org ). It has a large variety of servers, so to simplify, you can use any of the wildcard servers. It doesn't matter which.

irc.undernet.org
    us.undernet.org
    eu.undernet.org

Once you are connected to the IRC server, join #horns by whatever means your client provides. Normally, it's done by typing:

/join #horns

As far as IRC clients go, for Windows the most popular is mIRC (free small download at www.mirc.com) and for Mac the most popular is Ircle (free small download at www.ircle.com). There are many others, but these are the most popular. See me if you have questions.

The best website I've found for IRC help is... oddly enough... www.irchelp.org. They will answer just about any questions you have, as well as me.

So #horns at Undernet IRC. I hope to see you all there! The bot's name is DoubleC and I go by the nick "varter".

Happy IRCing!

2. Jon Kratzer

Jon Kratzer Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Heh, you decided undernet of all places... ;) I've been on IRC since 1993 man.. good stuff!

Jon

3. Syntax

Syntax New Friend

Jul 10, 2004
    Heh, I love IRC!! And I love Undernet. I figure the vast userbase may attract more people. Plus, I'm already an Undernet regular and in 5 or 6 other channels.

1993? Oh man, you veteran. I've been on IRC since 2001, so forgive the rookie, please. :-P

Come on in! At the moment, regulars are sporadic, but with more idlers the place should boom.

4. Syntax

Syntax New Friend

Jul 10, 2004
    Hmm, maybe I should post this on the TH too.

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Syntax,

I'm afraid the terminolgy and the site are a bit offputting. Novices, such as myself, are going to need a bit of a primer to get this going. I consider myself reasonably intelligent but when I clicked the link, there seemed to be a presumption of undernet knowledge that I, frankly, don't have.

For example, the one place to type anything in didn't give me the response I expected. Is there a primer of sorts with greater explanantion or is this really for "geeks", as you say?

ML

6. Syntax

Syntax New Friend

Jul 10, 2004
    Manny Laureano interested in my IRC channel... whoa!

Thank you, Manny, I had not realized how much the websites are offputting for IRC novices. After all, it has been a while since my IRC rookie days. :-P

I will explain it to you in the ways I know best, while simultaneously finding a better online guide to explain how IRC works and giving it to everyone here, because everyone can benefit.

[EDIT: Aha, I have found some!:
    http://www.user-com.undernet.org/documents/uprimer.php
    http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/irctutorial.html
    ]

IRC seems geeky but it is not just for geeks, anyone can manage it, it is just a little more difficult than AIM, but certainly has more advantages and is worth the trouble. Please don't be intimidated and think it's hard, this can only take you a few minutes.

The world of IRC is broken down into networks, which are run by a private group of people. These people privately run servers that are all connected to form this network. Getting on IRC is accomplished by connecting to any number of servers that the network provides via your client. In our case, Undernet is the network and irc.undernet.org (or the other aboves) is the server.

IRC is then further broken down into channels, and finally users. The users are us, and the channels are the chatrooms where we chat. For some odd reason, every channel is prefixed with a number sign (#). This is probably to distinguish channels. Our particular channel, or chatroom is #horns.

Now, probably the most confusing part to everyone is the client. The client is the actual application that will connect your computer to an IRC network via a server and get you in a channel to talk with other users. This is similar to AOL's application. For windows, the most popular client is mIRC. Go to the www.mirc.com website and go to Downloads, then click the latest download for your area, whether US/Canada or Europe.

When the download is complete (should take a few seconds), open up the client (mirc.exe) and there should be a window with text in it called the console and a window where you can enter text, called the inputline. A really quick way to get things started is to type:

/server irc.undernet.org

into the inputline, and enter. A bunch of text should appear on your console... that is the client connecting. When finished (should be obvious, the console should stop pouring out text), type:

/join #horns

to join the channel. You will be greeted by me.

I hope this does the job... those links up there should be of help.

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask and don't be intimidated... its as easy as downloading AIM or ICQ.

7. Syntax

Syntax New Friend

Jul 10, 2004
    However, I would advise, once you are familiar with mIRC to configure it to your liking. Look around the menus for a configure or server list or connections option. When inside, you can configure the network, server, and the nicknames you will use on the network.

Again, if you have any questions, I am here.

[EDIT]I HAVE FOUND THE PERFECT GUIDE FOR EVERYONE:

http://mirc.com/install.html

8. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    yaay IRC is awesome ML....come check it out!

9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    TG,

Geez... how did I know you might be well-versed in this undernet thing? Hmmmm?

Syntax, thank you for your generous use of your time to help those of us that might enjoy this technology. That truly was very nice of you.

ML

10. Syntax

Syntax New Friend

Jul 10, 2004
    Manny, from my end, I consider it more generous of you to express an interest in such a foreign concept. That is far more commendable, IMO.

I hope to see you in the chat room!

Any more questions I would be happy to answer.