Irons Group 15

Discussion in 'Trumpet Pedagogy' started by OldKing, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Stupid me, I thought this was a thread about golf clubs (didn't understand one word of OldKing's first post).

Brassman64 likes this.
  2. OldKing

OldKing Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2016
    NW of San Antonio
    I get that a lot.

Brassman64 likes this.
  3. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Hey oldking, besides what rowuk is suggesting, you may want to taper each note of group 15 all the way down to pppppppp.

Another exercise I’ve been having very good success with lately is the first exercise in Aaron Harris’s 'Advanced Studies for Trumpet’. You can see it for free in the preview: https://qpress.ca/product/advanced-studies-for-trumpet/ The difference is, is that I don’t rest 10 seconds in between those first few notes and, when I get to the high C, I usually go chromatically back down to the low F#.

Just going from pp-p-pp with the long tones seem to work even better for me than the pp-ff-pp long tones that a few other method books prescribe. Maybe this is because I usually do a good amount of loud playing already, usually every day. All the very best, Lex

OldKing likes this.
  4. Brassman64

Brassman64 Piano User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    One thing that is stressed in long tone exercises is to play pp and to rest the same amount of time you played in-between exercises.Some exercises substitute the use of a pedal tone instead of the rest period..

OldKing likes this.
  5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    i start my day with this... and before breakfast too! I start on low C and work down to low F#, then C# up to the G. I focus on playing super soft and sustain the notes a LONG time. This usually takes 15 to 20 minutes. Seriously/// What I am looking for when i do it is embouchure response to minimal stimulation... some days it is magical. I do it with my tuner app open (pitchlab) and use the EKG looking screen to really try and put the notes on the pitch centers.

Ljazztrm and Brassman64 like this.
  6. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Hey jiarby, thanks for sharing this one - sounds really good - I'm gonna give it a try myself. All the very best, Lex

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, I prefer "alive" long tones that are not static. They can grow in energy and color and then return to the whisper!

cb5270 likes this.