irregularities in horn resonance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Aug 9, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    As I was playing my warmup and slowly moving up a diatonic C scale I have noticed that some notes seem to ring full and other just a little bit less. It is something that would go unnoticed in a piece and is probably more perceptable by the player. Let's assume the horn is clean and free from any defects and is a solid instrument. I am playing a Bach 37 made somewhere in the mid seventies which is also a Bob Malone conversion.
    So what is this all about .. are trumpets just naturally this way. Did the conversion up the resonance of the majority of the horn which actualy makes the balance spread more noticable. Is this why people pay $6,000 for a Monette ... just wondering. Like I said it's subtile ...
    When I play I try to get every note played to pull every last overtone I can out of my horn.
    comments thoughts .... except the ones bagging on Bach

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Sounds like an interesting thing to test - particularly trying to ensure that each note is being played consistently... I only have one horn with me this week (the Destino III) but when I return to the ranch I might give them all a go as you describe.

If you have an engineering/signal processing bent, and a signal analyser, it might be worth recording the traces for each note and seeing which side frequencies are suppressed or accentuated -- maybe there will be a pattern which matches your subjective opinion for each note?

--bumblebee

coolerdave likes this.
  3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    What valve combinations does this occur? I find third valve the worst on its own or in combination.

I have downloaded a free Spectrum Analyzer program called Visual Analyzer 8,
    even with the built in microphone in the laptop shows harmonic content with different setups.

Regards, Stuart.

coolerdave likes this.
  4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I will check out that program ... I am not so sure it's always a particular valve combination .... if it were I think I would look at my valve alignement .. even though it's more subtle than those kinds of issues. It's definitely a change in the harmonic overtone structure. I just had a random thought.. I wonder if the room I am playing in has something to do with it ... I need to check this out in other areas of my house.

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Could very well be the acoustics of the room. try playing in different places and facing different directions, if you are generating standing waves, different positions will have different responses.

Regards, Stuart.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    If I understand it right.. a standing wave would enhance some frequencies and also dampen others..right?
    also
    A dead room would really expose less resonant notes on the horn... because a "live" room could pick up the less resonant notes and help mask it ... I think

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    So play sitting down.

--bumblebee

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I don't know that one ..could you hum a few bars.... ba dumpt chink

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Trumpets are generally not even in their resonant behaviour.

When we look how a trumpet functions (standing wave in a tube with leakage out of the bell) we realize that the tube has one set of "preferences" and the bell other. In most cases, the trumpet is built for sound first, blow second, intonation third and the rest after that.

Yes, people buy particular horns when a more even resonance without loss of intonation is desired - not just Monette though. Schilke and Yamaha Xenos are also superior in that respect.

Others bore the throat of the mouthpiece out which decreases the efficiency and makes the blow more even at the expense of output and intonation accuracy.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Does a dead room expose these inconsistencies more Robin?