irregularities in horn resonance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Aug 9, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    well, seeing as how the sound waves can reenter the bell and change the way we feel, sure. That is why I do not like to practice in small rooms.

I would not consider them to be "inconsistencies" however. The imperfections actually allow the trumpet to work in the first place. I did experiments on raising the efficiency of a trumpet a while back. The blow became very uneven and the intonation went south. The slotting was incredible but you couldn't get rid of the air fast enough and felt like you were about to suffocate.

When we practice enough, we become one with our axe. That is normally enough.........

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Like I said... it's not a big thing when it comes to performing... I get around the horn just fine ... it's just something I noticed during long tones or slow scales up and down the horn. I'll check to see if the horn blows more open on the notes that don't seem to resonate as well ... not that you said that but you would think it might act like that.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    how's your gap?? do you see the same effect with a different MP?

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I think most horns are that way...at least mine are. If you really listen and are attuned to the "feel" of each note, a few don't resonate the same as the others. You're right in that we don't notice it much in a playing situation with other people (gig or rehearsal). I'd guess it's more of a feedback issue than an out front issue, and it can change somewhat with a mouthpiece switch. When I have a mouthpiece that matches the horn and me, the horn resonates more on all notes. The horn is easier to play, requires less effort to play louder dynamic levels, and you can "feel" the increased resonance in your hands and in your head.

5. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    I have the same problem, really. But I have gotten more consistent as I've practiced. It's like you have to figure out how to make the note resonate despite adjust the natural note with your lips... it's hard to do both, but it seems that what trumpet players have to learn to do. Of course, do use the valve triggers to help, as well.

In my experience, it's best to make good sound a higher priority than intonation while practicing. Optimize your tone quality on the note FIRST, and THEN try to play it in tune. Of course, when you start playing with other musicians, though, you may have to prioritize intonation higher.

Edit: Dale is right about some notes not sounding the same from the player's end. It's most important just to make each note sound as good as possible.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Oh, for the forensic audio lab equipment I know of and the techs that know how to use it. In summary, methinks no brass instrument plays all notes perfectly centered regardless of how good the player is, however if the player is more experienced I'd have to say that the sound of each note would be closer to being centered.

I'm thrilled when what I play and the tuning fork agree.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I don't think it's a gap issue ... the horn feel and plays great. I honestly think the GR mouthpiece I am using really lights up the horn and some of the pitches not as much so... still very good but ...

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If you cup your hand behind your ear the inconsistencies will become apparent, and it is scary. Listen to a recording of a performance on the same instrument they are not apparent. I dunno.