Irving Berger and Jerry Kail

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by wiseone2, Jun 29, 2005.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I am sorry to be the bearer of the news of their deaths.

Irv was for a time a first-call lead player on the Broadway scene.
    I met him in Philadelphia when I was a green kid, trying to learn the style.
    Irving taught me how to mark parts, a lost art, in a way that a sub could walk in cold and not get lost. He played many hit shows. Pippin and Evita just to name a couple. He was old school.....he never took off to play on the outside. Come to think of it, Irv was always house contractor.
    He was also a great cartoonist. Whenever we had measures rest, he did some really great drawings.
    R.I.P.

Dave Gale gave me the sad news of Jerry's passing. Dave and Jerry were two- thirds of the "Dreamgirls" trumpet section.
    I met Jerry in Philadelphia. He was playing with the Quincy Jones band. Freddie Hubbard, Benny Bailey and Clyde Riessinger were the other trumpets.
    Jerry's "Dreamgirls" book was famous on Broadway. His book contained XXX rated photos. And that was in the days before the stupid present day rules. It was sink or swim, no fair peeking at the book beforehand if you were a sub. Imagine a quick page turn and being confronted with............... :roll:.............
    You get the picture :lol:
    They don't make them like that anymore.
    Wilmer