Is a Bach 3C mouthpiece better than a Yamaha 11B4 mouthpiece for dental braces???

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by madmattm, Feb 6, 2010.

1. madmattm

madmattm New Friend

Jun 13, 2009
    Before I got braces I was going to upgrade from the rubbish mouthpiece I got with my yamaha trumpet (11B4) to a Bach 3C. Is this still a sensible move?

2. DrDave

DrDave Piano User

Nov 26, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    Players tend to find a slightly larger mouthpiece more comfortable with braces, perhaps because it tends to distribute pressure differently. My advice would be to try it and see how it feels.

Cheers,
    Dave

3. marsuleu

marsuleu Piano User

Mar 30, 2009
    Bucharest , Romania
    Bach 3C has a sharp rim ( 11B4 is not that sharp ) which can be uncomfortable for players with dental braces(same problem for those with crooked teeth) maybe you should try something with a rounded and wide rim ... Bach has a 3CW mouthpiece ( slightly wider rim ) . but don't buy one untill you try it , because technical specs is not enough to guarantee you a good choice .

4. atripp87

atripp87 New Friend

Jan 29, 2010
    Hey

I had braces on for 7 years. About 2 years after getting my braces on I switched from a 7C (whatever make it was I'm not sure) to a Bach 3C for like 4 years. Then I switched to a Laskey 75MD, but just recently switched back to the Bach 3C. In all honesty the Bach 3C isnt that bad with braces. Just do what you need to do so you get the braces off at a reasonable time (not 7 years). Also I know it's terrible and hurts and they bleed and all that but just power through it. You'll get used to it. Wax wont do anything but change your embouchure even more that the braces already are. The 3C is a great mouthpiece, I'd recommend it in a braces situation. Enjoy.

5. ian simkins

ian simkins New Friend

Oct 26, 2008
    united kingdom
    Although you may be anti Yamaha try the Bobby Shew Jazz piece, as far as i know it is a Bach 3c copy with a rounder more comfortable rim. Works well for me at the moment having just changed from a 7c.

Yamaha 8310 Z
    Couesnon Flugel
    Bach Prelude Cornet

6. blueicedj

blueicedj New Friend

Jul 13, 2008
    California/Nevada
    Ok, so trying to find the perfect mouthpiece for braces can be a lost cause. Playing with braces just sucks, but there are a few things you can do. I'm sure you've tried the wax method which I personally hate. Wax get everywhere and it really doesn't feel all that much better. If you haven't tried this explain your situation to the orthadontist and he should hive you some wax.
    Ok, so thenext solution is what worked for me. Go buy a mothgaurd, like a sports one. Then cut out a strip (about the size of your teeth across your face). Boil up some water and with some tongs boil the strip you cut. When the strip becomes moldable for. It to your braces/teeth. Do the top and bottom teeth seperatley. Make sure they aren't too thick too. Anyways, now you have a nice braces gaurd for your mouth. It worked for me and my friend in high school at least. Hope this helps.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The 11B4 is a decent mouthpiece. Not too big, not too small, full sound, easy to play.

I would not change anything in the beginning. With the braces on, you are hitting a moving target anyway. I think changing mouthpieces is one of the worst things that you can do.

The mouthguard idea sounds good. I'll have some students try it!