Is a C trumpet easier to work with piano?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vndk8tr, Feb 5, 2010.

1. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    As I understand your original post, you have access to a C trumpet, have actually played it, you like it, and you can buy it for a price that fits your budget. In my book, those are the critical factors in a YES decision. Go for it.

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    ComebackKid, I suspect that, in your book, ANY horn that you've tried, liked and fits your budget is a candidate for acquisition :-P

BTW, I got my Ambassador, looks and plays great :play:

Cheers.

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Ok, Ok, You've figured out my secret. Is it that obvious? Also, congratulations on your Ambassador - they're a real kick to play as you are now aware.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am kind of with B15M on this one.

If you start from scratch with ANYTHING-including jazz on a trumpet, the key of the horn is inconsequential.

Whether we play misty in C, D or Q#, the tunes themselves require little reading capability and the changes are pretty much a case of how much you practice what.

Granted, for a trumpeter that has never really improvised before, the issue of key may seem significant even although it really is not.

vndk8tr talks about jam sessions not READING sessions with complicated arrangements. It takes about 10 minutes to get into the groove of adding a whole step to the chord changes. C, am, F, G becomes D, bm, G, A.

I would recommend to take your Bb and give it a chance. The C trumpet is of no help.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    This is why I am so synica in this thread.

6. vndk8tr

vndk8tr New Friend

Dec 25, 2009
    Many thanks to all who responded, except B51M. I wonder if, along with not being cynical, did he ever try not being a snob and a jerk? Maybe his name should be BM51 instead. Thanks, AndyC, for the defense. I never claimed to be a professional, just honest with an honest question. You guys have (with 1 exception) all helped; I appreciate it.

7. vndk8tr

vndk8tr New Friend

Dec 25, 2009
    OK, B51M, maybe I overreacted. But that first answer meant nothing except an insult. I am obviously not in your class as a player, so please try to be more helpful. And a little respect for others might get you fewer comebacks like mine.

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't think I'm a snob. I have nothing to be snobbish about. I'm not the best player in the world, just a part time come backer.

Now jerk, I have been on here now and again. I try not to be but, sometimes I just can't help myself. It's like looking at a train wreck. You know you shouldn't look but you just can't look away.

9. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    This whole question is one of preference, which is fine. Tone quality matters, personal confidence matters. But the fact of transposition shouldn't keep anybody away from using a Bb trumpet in any concert-pitch situation. There are a fixed number of note name, and each time a single pitch comes up, it will always transpose to a fixed pitch, so it's simply a vocabulary-list learning exercise just like we all had to do so many time back in elementary school.

C will always become D, whether it's printed as a C because there's nothing in the key signature or because there's a Cb or C# in the key signature and then a natural sign next to the C in the course of the music -- it will always be played as a D on a Bb instrument.

People make transposition so much harder than it needs to be, sort of like hating to go to the doctor's to get a shot -- the anticipation of the pain is so much worse than the actual shot itself. The same is true of transposition.

Cb = Db
    C = D
    C# = D#
    Db = Eb
    D = E
    D# = E#
    Eb = F
    E = F#
    E# = Fx (double sharp)
    Fb = Gb
    F = G
    F# = G#
    Gb = Ab
    G = A
    G# = A#
    Ab = Bb
    A = B
    A# = B#
    Bb = C
    B = C#
    B# = Cx (double sharp)

Now get busy memorizing and quit thinking transposition is impossible to master! Once you've memorized that list, start transposing simple melodies from your beginner books and gradually move onto harder music. It should take a person who practices it every day a week or two to get comfortable with it.

If you have children you've had to tell your children the same thing about their vocabulary lists when they've complained about "all that work!" ;-)

10. vndk8tr

vndk8tr New Friend

Dec 25, 2009
    Thanks to all. I think I'll stick to my Bb, but purchase the C because it's such a deal. I think I can find a way to use it. Again, thanks.