Is a C trumpet easier to work with piano?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vndk8tr, Feb 5, 2010.

1. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    I play in a church band (not organs but guitars etc) and use a Bb and a C. Only just realised that I can flatten the Bb down to an A which is a great help to me as my transposing skills are not that good yet.

2. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    @ Revjames that causes intonation issues within the trumpet itself.

If you are planning on expanding your trumpet playing further I would go ahead and invest in the C trumpet. If you are just going to to casual gigs just stick the the Bb and learn to transpose you won't be bad at it forever especially once you are forced to learn it to succeed.

3. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    I see, would you care to elaborate a bit? Thanks

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    This would be referring to extending the tuning slide to get the Bb horn into A; but the individual slides for each valve will remain at Bb - hence intonation issues. I think this is what is being referred to here.

The C trumpet is shorter, but so also is each valve set tube length, to remain in tune.
    Cheers

5. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Thanks for the reply. I didnt notice any tuning issues yesterday (but was only being accompanied by a guitar) I guess I could correct with my 1st and 3rd tuneable slides?
    I notice some C's come with a Bb slide too so all 3 slides would probably need re setting every time you switched?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I'm not sure how to respond to this. I think, if it's working for you, and you are happy playing the music for god in church, you should just extend the slide to A and play.

7. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Thanks, the reason I jumped into this discussion was to find out if there were issues in playing in A by using the slide. Thankfully I have found some useful info. I guess if I were playing with more instruments the intonation issues would become more obvious. But yes am happy playing music for God (for me thats what its about). I still have a lot to learn as I try and catch up 30 years!

8. ColinWhite

ColinWhite Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2010
    East Lansing, MI
    Tuning a Bb trumpet to A: I own a 1949 Buescher, with it came a little card explaining how to tune it to A. It says: pull out the 1st slide 1/4-inch, pull out 2nd slide 1/8-inch, and pull out the 3rd 3/8-inch. I haven't ever tried this, but I have no reason to believe they're incorrect. Obviously, all trumpets have different tuning issues, but these could serve as an approximation for you.

9. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Fantastic, I'll try those combinations on both my Bb trumpets. Certainly not much adjustment on the 2nd slides but 1/8" should be OK

Hmmmm I wonder if this means I can flatten my C down to B? ....

10. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    C trumpet works better for me in orchestral or church situations, it has a lighter, "clearer" sound that seems to blend better in those contexts. But I'm mostly a Bb player. Keys don't matter. There are only twelve. They're all equal and you should be able to deal with all of them. Notice that the various Clarke books have all exercises in all keys, there's a reason for that. If you practice one key per month in a year you'll have all of them. One reason people have trouble with keys like B or F# is that they don't use them; most school band music is in Bb, Eb, F, C or D, you never see pieces in Db, so by not working on all the keys you get thrown when you encounter one.