Is a C trumpet easier to work with piano?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vndk8tr, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Whereas the OP admits he cannot read sheet music, transposition for a Bb trumpet is out of the question. Certainly the C would be the same as piano, organ. and guitar, but for a Bb trumpeter playing by ear will take a while to become accustomed to. Learning anything is NOT an instant process.

2. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I'll agree, it takes time to learn anything. If it were easy everyone would do it. But transposing can be learned, just like one learns multiplication tables when one is in fourth grade or whatever. You have to make an effort, do some work, sweat a little bit, apply oneself, work consistently a little every day until one overcomes obstacles. If you're not willing to do that you'll get your butt kicked.

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I can't transpose well and I use my C for a shortcut a lot.
    I have lots of jobs and nobody has kicked my butt yet.
    We're not all trying to be in a symphony for a living.

4. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    I can transpose but not 'on the fly' ie I would have to stop and think about it and scribble on the manuscript! As you say anything worth learning takes time. For me I will get more playing in if I can play in A, Bb and C rather than just Bb in the meantime.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If one could read music, transposing C music to Bb is a snap, just one step up and add 2 sharps in key signature. From Bb to C is just the reverse down one step and add two flats to key signature. Playing by ear is a matter of tone recognition as obviously is different between a C instrument and a Bb. For longer than I remember, I've sight read C music with transposition for Bb instruments. I don't remember, but such probably originated by reading parlor organ sheet music my grandmother had, later augmented by piano sheet music my mother had, plus a lot of such that I've bought retail, thrift, estate garage sales and flea markets.

6. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    I think he is saying that he doesn't have music to read not that he can't read music. Correct me if I am wrong.

7. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Although this thread is getting old since the original post, and I think this has been mentioned, but I'll say it again - the tone of a C trumpet isn't the tone that is needed in the context of the situation being described. A C trumpet is mostly used in an orchestral or symphonic context. It has a somewhat different inherent sound than a Bb.

The C trumpet isn't designed to accomplish the stated purpose in the original post.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    You may be right, he said he has been "working from memory" at his gigs (which many do). Now my thought is that a C instrument sound is something that would have to be acceptable to his bandmates. It's not usual in such circumstances, albeit it could be done.

9. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Transposition skills are basic for any trumpet player. I don't do many orchestra gigs, by far what I do most is jazz, rock, and commercial music. If you want to work with singers transposing is a vital skill.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Luckily enough, there are many roads to success when playing trumpet. A C can be a fingering shortcut, IF the brain can get used to the pitch AND the horn does not have intonation issues (many do). In this respect, it is not easier, rather requires a different, for some easier to learn skill set.

Transposition is another issue where I also believe that teachers could make the lives of their students much easier if they addressed it earlier. Basic C transposition can be practiced just by grabbing a hymnbook and going for it. How long it takes is another issue altogether. Most all of my accomplished jazz colleagues can also transpose - at least from Bb to C. They to get lead sheets and can't make excuses.

The bottom line: the C trumpet is not EASIER. It is different. My personal opinion is that the well tempered intonation of a piano makes it a tough partner in any case. My horns that give me the greatest control of my intonation are best in that case. I have a great Bb and C trumpets, so both work equally well.