Is Air Everything???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JHarris, Jul 16, 2004.

1. JHarris

JHarris New Friend

Jul 13, 2004
    OK, everyone says that air is the most important thing in trumpet playing. Does anyone know any breathing exercises? I have heard of the blowing through the end of the mp, yoga, and the fact that working the abs helps with the air but that is it.

Any thing would be helpful, thanks,
    JH

2. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    My breathing is the same with or without the trumpet. I mostly breath through my nose and the air is low in my belly. Don't breath with your shoulders and stay as relaxed possible.

If you play normal stuff till c3 that will work fine. If you're in the highblow or leadbusiness some extra techniques could help like the Bobby Shew method (yoga breathing) but I never used them. I couldn't get in to it.

If you have to play a heavy frase, just take more air but keep it low.

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I wouldn’t say it is the most important. I would say that song, or the mental aspect, is but air, or wind, would be the next most important. From what little you have written I get the idea that you might have a lot of misconceptions about air and air usage.

I would highly recommend you read Song and wind (http://www.windsongpress.com/ ) to get a better idea of how the lungs work and how you should use them.

I would check this out as well.

http://www.midwestclinic.com/clinicianmaterials/2001/hagstrom.pdf

jason

4. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
  5. Gnostic

Gnostic New Friend

Oct 24, 2003
    :)

6. JHarris

JHarris New Friend

Jul 13, 2004
    How can I develop good stonge breathing tecnique? Wht are some exercies that help?

7. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Well, one old technique is to lay on the floor with a couple of heavy phone books on your stomach. Take a deep breath in and push those phone books toward the ceiling. Do that a few times and then try playing while keeping those phone books up!

I'm not kidding---I've had several, older pros tell me about this exercise that helped them when starting out.

Bill

8. JHarris

JHarris New Friend

Jul 13, 2004
    man, that sounds so crazy it will work.

The only ones i know are ..
    1. Sit in a chair with the head inbetween the legs and breathing
    2. Fill up the lungs and sip more air in
    3. Breath 8, hold 8, release 8, hold 8

Any one got ny more???

9. JHarris

JHarris New Friend

Jul 13, 2004
    How may books did you use. I used all the phone books I had and I barely felt it. i used all 3 of my trumpet cases with trumpets in them. Am i doing it wrong. I don't want to srew myself over.

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    There is only one trumpet case for this exercise. Armor Cases filled with sand are just about perfect. The problem with the lighter, plastic cases is that they don't resonate correctly...although some of that problem can be alleviated with proper bracing.... a 2X4 wedged up to the ceiling should work. And of course, gig bags should only be used by jazz players... the added flexibility will allow them the room they need for "bending".

PS... the more you spend for the case, the better it will be. Proven fact. Yup. Um hmmmm.