Is anyone familiar with these Etudes?

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by talcito, Feb 16, 2005.

1. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Back in the early 1950's the Selmer company produced two albums featuring two great trumpet players, Raymand Sabarich and Louis Menardi. The albums were produced to help demonstrate the Selmer trumpets.

The playing and etudes in these recordings are just incredible. Has anyone heard these?

They are refered to simply as "Etudes for Trumpet" on the album jackets.

Does anyone know if the music to these etudes is available?

Thanks!

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I have a copy of the music. I had the LP, the playing was very, very good.
    If it isn't available it should be.
    Wilmer

3. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Whose etudes are they?

4. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Sabarich wrote the book,"Dix Etudes." They are quite good.
    Wilmer

5. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Thank you,Mr. Wise, now that you provided me with the reference, I will begin my search.

6. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    ah...dix etudes! i play out of that sometimes. i'm glad sabarich could play his own music 'cause i sure as hades can't!!....well, maybe i can hack through a couple of them. i would be shot on sight if the french etude patrol ever heard me. :-P
    i got mine from robert king music back when i was in college.

dj

7. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Thanks for all your help!

I just ordered the Etudes from Robert King Music.

Also, Clyde Hyde at www.bflatmusic.com also recorded these etudes. I have not heard his version. As for Sabarich's recording it truly is something special.

Thanks again,

Oscar Onoz

8. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Louis Menardi, not Sabarich, was the trumpet player on the recording as I recall.

Wilmer

9. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    You are correct Mr. Wise!

As I understand it, Selmer produced two albums. The "Dix Etudes" was played by Menardi. Sabarich played on the other album. I have the recordings on cassette without the credits.

I just received the music and am currently on #1.

It is fantastic being able to hear a master playing these etudes before attempting to play them yourself. I would never have approached these etudes in such a musical manner if I had not heard this gentleman first.

This recording has really sparked an interest in me in this type of playing. It is classical playing that is full of fire, individual expression and bravura. These are some of the qualities which alot of people find fascinating in players like Rafael Mendez. As a commercial player, I often will listen to great classical players and to me they all play "perfect" yet they all sound very conservative and similar.

Mr. Wise, or other TM members----Are their any other recordings and/or literature that you would recomend that is in a similar style to "Dix Etudes" and Menardi's approach to playing?

As always, thank you!

10. wiseone2

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Have you heard "Mendez plays Arban?" Talk about style. :thumbsup:
    Wilmer