Is Cryogenics dead?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by MJ, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    ?

-cw-

2. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    a trumpet is not an race car, read NickD's posts again...

3. Rick14A4A

Rick14A4A New Friend

Jul 29, 2008
    Texas
    Mine playes better and has a great sound after sitting in a hot car all afternoon. I think freezing would be the last thing I wanted. Never heard of it before.

4. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

What are you questioning CHAMP?

Whether the Molecular-Structure of the metal, trumpets are manufactured, defies the Laws of Physics?

I suspect you need to re-read Nicks' post partna? :)

Cheers

-

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  5. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    right....

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Chris,

just because cryo works on an engine does not mean that we will have the same benefits with the trumpet. We do not have the accelleration or temperature that a race engine does. The resonant behviour is not similar and the flow dynamics of an engine are constant flow not alternating like a trumpet. The relatively weak embouchure muscle (at least compared to a fuel injector) is also not cryoed.

All in all not comparable.

Champ,
    I am sure that you are capable of more than one or two word sentences (an oxymoron?). How about documenting YOUR opinion instead of only weakly commenting on others? I'd be interested in what YOU think.

7. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    i am capable of more than 2 word posts, but if something has already been said efficiently once, why bother saying it again?

i have played cryoed horns, they were okay...i have played horns that were not cryoed that were also okay...there is probably more difference day to day in your own embouchure than there would be in a horn that is cryoed an one that is not

the studies have been done...

save your money

and your breath

8. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

No.. i took your meaning of brevity there CHAMP. I'd argue white is black in a court of law!

:lol:

Good call-

Course that don't change the fact that you make my point, as do you Robin. :) ..It ain't nearly as complicated as we'd suggest? My meaning's nevermind all the before and after play-testing stuff. Or asking testers which Horn's cryo'd. One time'll do just fine, and there's no cause in posing the question. Add to that, the gadgetry to measure this and that -that don't clear up diddley; and convolute things further by testing this model horn and four more to boot. -Not forgetting, the kicks and giggle distraction all this stirs up in subjective-servitude.

Look- I'd bet the Farm and the Tractor- you treat'a Horn and ask the tester to pick from just two Horns of the same model -which one's got a sharper, cleaner sound, and which valves are smokin'.. you'll get the simple answer everytime. It'll be a done deal the first they start pushin' psitons.

Whether the difference of sound and valve-action is meaningful to a player isn't the point. There's a difference, no question. How could there not be. -You hit exactly my meaning of an engine parallel Robin. If i can hear a clearer sharper synergy of sound in a comparatively complex-design; that's extremely loud- how in the world could a Musician not discern this in simplistic Horn design, minus excessive volume. Much less the chicken-quick valve-response. :)

I suspect what we'd define as meaningful impression to a Musicians' sensitivity to sound- likes and dislikes of sound-dynamic/valve-action, will lean toward a margin from pleasing-significance to overly-pronounced? But never unnoticed.

My point's that Player's that want cryo. and are adequately exposed to the playability benfits/sound-variance these Horns represent -Builders will respond?

-

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  9. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    i feel dizzy...:stars:

10. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

what I think godchaser is saying is, there is a change, just it may be so small it doesn't matter and we might not be able to tell
    So it may or may not be worth it to do the whole cryo process