Is hot sauce bad for trumpet playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Jun 28, 2009.

1. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Only recently have I been getting into hot sauce. I just bought some Dave's Insanity Sauce, and now I'm hooked. Last night I tried it for the first time and it did make my lips and mouth numb, but it wasn't that bad. But the next morning I had a terrible lip. I used the sauce again for lunch and this afternoon I didn't have a real great lip, but it wasn't terrible either.

I was wondering if any of you guys are into the hot sauce (the stuff I've been using lately has been quite a bit stronger than Tabasco etc.) and know whether or not it affects your playing or exactly what it does to your playing. It could just be that I wasn't having a real great lip that day anyway. How long would you say I should wait after eating hot sauce to play? Thanks.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    If it bothers you....don't use it. Easy enough.

My dad used hot, hot sauce all the time, didn't bother him.

A lot of trumpets guys i know have a real liking for super hot curry....go figure.

3. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Eating the hot sauce doesn't bother me at all, but you don't think it effects the playing?

4. DanZ_FL

DanZ_FL Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2009
    Clearwater, Florida
    I love all sorts of hot sauce! BTW, trumpet_man, try to find some of the Blair's if you like that extract style heat. Personally, I go for a good flavorful habanero sauce. Sometimes I even make my own.

Yeah it can get your lips tingly but I don't think it can do anything other than be an annoyance until it wears off. On the plus side, I think it gets your blood flowing -- kicking up your metabolism a bit and, for me, opening up the airways for good deep breathing from the diaphragm.

5. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    If your hot sauce contains red chile peppers, which is likely, it also contains capsaicin, an anti-inflamatory. So, just based on this fact, your lips should not become inflamed from eating your hot sauce. But, maybe there's something else in YOUR hot sauce to which you are allergic? Check its ingredients.

Here's a link re: capsaicin as an anti-inflamatory. A colleague uses it for arthritic pain and she says it works well:

Hot Peppers, a Natural Alternative to COX Inhibitor Drugs?

BTW, you must try Cholula Hot Sauce. It isn't "burning hot" sauce, but it is incredibly tasty and great with most anything. :-)

6. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Well I have high grass, dust, and tree allergys so I bought some chap stick and it had a very minute amount of white oak oil or somethin in it, I noticed my playing was goin a bit south ang I thought it was a bad day or two, come to find out it had that tree oil in it and my lips had swelled up and I never noticed, um one chapstick (campo) im highly allergic to and my lips/face go fully numb and in a few seconds my lips are twice their size :-o but eyah see if your lips are bigger if they are then your allergic to the stuff, maybe why you go numb, if thats it itll take about a week for it to go down. Thats all I can tell you

7. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    though at band camp we were on the field warming up a bit before 9 that morning and one guy ate a whole home grown habenero from one of my friends, and after he finished we had to go to our sets so he never had the chance to drink any water or anything and he ran to his set, man o man did he turn red, we went like a hour hour and a half before a water break heh heh. somethin funny to see. but he was one of our leads, and he had super chops haha thankyou habenero

8. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Bad? It's essential. OTOH, you have to be careful with Dave's. Some of his flavors go for the heat at the expense of flavor. The original one is OK, Tabasco rules supreme, and if you can still find red Pickapeppa, it's about the only allowable Tabasco substitute.

9. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Careful not to get it on your lips and you'll be fine.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Have a care - my #1 Son had some 'warm sauce' on a sausage before a gig, created a bit of gas - apparently - burps sound quite amusing through a tuba - and then giggles followed the burp and hicoughs followed the giggles - and the whole band (and audience) just went to pieces - priceless. :D