Is hot sauce bad for trumpet playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Jun 28, 2009.

1. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    For now, Dave's is plenty hot for me, I'm using it in small amounts that are gradually getting larger. It'll be a while before I can work my way up to Blair's.

2. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Wow, I never knew hot sauce could be considered healthy. It could've just been an off day for me, and not related to the sauce. I've had Cholula hot sauce and I really like it's flavor but it takes far too much to make anything hot, but it's still pretty good.

3. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Yeah, I have allergies too, but none that are food related (that I know of). I'm allergic to lawn grass, sage brush (only common in Wyoming, which is unfortunate), flowers, and other plants that pollinate. But I've never had anything swell up from allergies. Thanks.

4. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    idk... i like to hotsauce... jersey death... no flavor only crazy hot,.. idk tho, never had it before i played.., experiment? lol jk

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If YOU have a problem, YOUR body is trying to tell you something. Listen to your body, it knows MUCH better than we de what you can get away with.

Hot sauce is not toxic, you just need to get used to it. I have no interest in things that take away my sense of taste. Hot sauce and sugar are at the top of that list.

6. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Hot sauces would probably be most beneficial if you play in a Salsa Band.

7. Labidochromis

Labidochromis Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2009
    Armstrong BC.
    I have been eating hot spicy food all my life and there is absolutely zero effect on my playing. I do agree with Robin and some of the others about listening to your body, if you are noticing a problem it would be good to identify the cause.

Chilli's and hot sauce are fine but a little Oyster sauce in some Chop Suey and I would experience the same thing you described, I have a Shell Fish allergy.

Possibly you are reacting to something in the hot sauce or something you are putting it on?

My shell fish allergy did not surface until I was 30 or so, before that I was a sea food addict.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  8. DanZ_FL

DanZ_FL Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2009
    Clearwater, Florida
    :lol::thumbsup:

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I like hot sauce but Dave's insanity sauce is too mild for me. If you want to kick up your endorphins, try Blair's After death sauce or (my favorite) fresh habaneros. Habaneros look like little pumpkins and come in orange, red (and my favorite) brown. They can be found in the fresh vegetable section of your local grocery store. If you do use the fresh habaneros, be sure to wash your hand BEFORE you take a pee. Oh I forgot to mention, Like any other condiment, it has no effect on my playing.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Dan Z FL,
    You need to try The Red Sovina habanero(hottest chilies known known to man at 400,000 scoville heat units). It is a man made habanero and WOW!!
    Its about 3 to 4 times as hot as the scotch bonnets or the orange habaneros. Also you might want to try the Chocolate habaneros. They grab your mouth with a serious hotness that the basic habanero doesn't have.
    Hot flash!!
    I just read that Naga jolokia (ghost pepper) now has the record for hot at over 1,000,000 scoville units. Red Sovina has been beaten.