Is hot sauce bad for trumpet playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Jun 28, 2009.

1. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Wimps. Habaneros are too easy to find. There's one that's even better, and you can grow it yourself: manzano rojo (red) and manzano amarillo (yellow). They come from fairly high elevations in the Andes, and if they like where they're planted, can make a sort of tree about 15' tall. While you can find bottled whole peppers and sauces in a good Latin market, the fresh ones are where the fun is: they have thick flesh, like a bell pepper, and they're very crispy when you bite them, again like a bell pepper, but they're also extremely juicy and a bite will completely coat the inside of your mouth with a flavor that's the equal of any habanero (they're related). We kept a plant of each going for a good 15 years before they gave up. They'd freeze to the ground in winter, and come back in spring. Great peppers.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hmmm, maybe I'm alergic to a certain redhead? :oops:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2009
  3. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    ROFLThat's a good one. :thumbsup:

4. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Well, maybe it wouldn't effect me if I were more used to it like you. I don't know, it's probably something else. I think I'll go a few days without the hot sauce and see what kind of difference it makes. Then again it could be an allergy.

5. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Ok, I could understand how some people might think that Dave's Insanity is too mild, but I've been doing some research and Blair's After Death sauce isn't any hotter than Dave's Insanity (although Blair's can have some sauces that truly are brutally hot). The habeneros sounds like a good idea but I'm more into the sauces. I used to hate peppers, but now I'm gradually getting to like them, and I suspect I'll really like them years down the road. Thanks.

6. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I think the key here is moderation.

Hotsauce makes you hella thirsty (well for me it does) and it makes you drink a lot of water which may/may not swell the lips depending on how your body takes it. Also if there's alot of sodium content it may slightly change things in the lips.

All in all, its not a big deal. But if you have a gig or something lay off the sauce juuust to be safe.

7. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Hot sauce may actually help your playing by moisturizing your throat and opening up your salivatory glands. Of course, if you get it on your lips, all bets are off. Hot sauce definitely burns my lips and I know I can't play as well afterwards.

8. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    That could be what the problem is here. So if it gets on the inside of the lips, does it still do damage? If you get it on your lips, how long does it take for you to recover? Thanks.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi trumpetman,
    You're probably right, maybe it wasn't wasn't After Death. This I do know, It was a Blair's product and it was hot as hell surpassing Insanity sauce.
    I'm excited to try some Ghost Peppers. I just learned about them a couple of days ago.
    As for sauces, I usually use fresh habaneros. What I do is get them fresh, wash them off and then freeze them.
    When I eat them I cut one habanero in half, put half back in the freezer and throw the other half in my bowl of whatever I'm eating. Yummm!!
    Once I get some Ghost Peppers I'll let you know how they are (pending I survive).
    At this rate, it might be cheaper to just have a cop pepper spray me before each meal.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  10. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    I think I'll be fine. It was probably just a bad couple of days for the chops. I tried it today and it didn't ruin my chops. Thanks.