is it a bad idea to use different mouthpieces for different genres?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I'm in agreement with Rowuk. No one should switch around until they have a good concept of playing on one mouthpiece, correctly. Even then, switching is best done with advice and consultation of a teacher, because different approaches are required for different styles of mouthpiece and playing, although the core concepts like breathing remain the same. From my experience switching from 3c to a 13a4a (for lead), it can be quite a challenging undertaking, so don't underestimate the process. However, I don't think that switching is a bad thing, though (in my opinion) it certainly can be overdone...

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I once knew a principal trumpet in a professional Symphony that would carry a trumpet case of mouthpieces with him. he would switch horns and or mpcs. several times during a single piece of music. he ended up missing and cricking a lot of notes and was fired. True story. When you look to the hardware (mouthpiece) to do what you should do with practice ( acquire technique). You'll never achieve success on the horn.